Accurate wee lassie offsets

Mark Adams

all wood nut
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a source for accurate Wee Lassie offsets? I'd like to try my hand at building a Rushton Wee Lassie replica for my wife this next summer. I have the Adirondak Museum plans, but have heard they are really bad?

Hopefully someone has an idea.

Thanks!

Depends on which set of ADK museum plans you mean - the Markulla plans from the back of Manley's book are terrible. However, the set drawn by Dave Dillion are very good. However you need to keep in mind that the Dillion plans are a documentation of a single boat, and have not been redrawn for building purposes. One of our members uses the McEvoy plans in John Leather's book, but they are incomplete as given in that book.

Thanks Dan. I have the Dillon plans. Being a complete neophyte in terms of lapstrake, how are they "off" as a set of building plans? What further needs to be done to them?

Probably a fair amount of fairing. I haven't worked with these drawings, but it is my understanding that the original boat is wonky, and since the drawings are a documentation, so are they.... This should become evident when you start to loft it.

Dan

It would probably be best to loft them full-sized so you can see where there are errors which would result in non-fair lines to the boat being built. It's complex and time consuming, but you can use the lofted plans as a template. Dan; Can you recommend an easy to follow book describing the process? It also helps to have someone with you who knows what they are doing, especially if you don't learn well from written descriptions.

Hmm, I see that you are located in Reno. I don't know who might be out that way who could help with this.

I have the Walt Simmons book on lines and lofting that is a pretty comprehensive look at the process. I tend to howl away in the wilderness most of the time. There are not a lot of wooden canoes out here, and I think I have touched most of them that are!

IMG_4735.jpg
Rob, this is pretty good and touches all the bases.

Dan; Can you recommend an easy to follow book describing the process?

Well, the best written description of lofting will be in the book that Geoffrey and I will be writing starting later this spring... :D Until then, one of the best is Greg Rossel's in his "Building Small Boats" (it also ran as a multi-part article in WoodenBoat several years ago.

Dan

Back