Paint color combo

JClearwater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
As usual I've waited to the last minute - Assembly is in three weeks!

I want to add a pinstripe to my Old Town but am struggling with the color choice. The canoe is dark blue on the bottom half, white on the top half. I want to do a gold stripe with oak leaf ends but gold on white does not show well, even with a shadow line below it. Looked through all the pictures I could find here on the forum but didn't find any ideas. Attached is the canoe.

Thoughts, ideas anyone? Thanks.

Jim C.

Attachments

• 107b.jpg
    107b.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 323

Attachments

• leaf-1.jpg
    leaf-1.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 266
  • leaf-2.jpg
    leaf-2.jpg
    785.1 KB · Views: 264
Launching the Otca 8 2008 064.jpgI used copper metallic pinstripe that comes on a roll to do mine. Turned out great and saved me tons of time, money and angst.

The artist that I use just completed the gold stripe with oak leaf design over white with a 1/8" black outline around the gold. The contrast with the white was striking.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm going for gold with darker shadow lines. Pinstripe guy is coming over on Wednesday so by next weekend I should have pics to post. Stay tuned.

Chris, the canoe is an Old Town, 17', AA grade, closed gunwales, 1904. I restored it in 1991 and wanted to shine up the old girl for the Assembly. It should be one of the oldest Old Towns there, so I gave it a coat of paint and I figured a pinstripe would look cool. At 108 she's still going strong.

Jim

It's done

Ok, so here is the old girl resplendent in her new paint and stripe. I decided to go with a yellow/gold stripe with tan shadow line above and a slightly darker tan below. Also a pinstripe of tan along the edge of the blue and white.

Thanks for all the suggestions. See you next week at PSC

Jim

Attachments

• 1904OldTown 002.jpg
    1904OldTown 002.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 1904OldTown 004.jpg
    1904OldTown 004.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 304
  • 1904OldTown 005.jpg
    1904OldTown 005.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 337