Peterborough Lake Queen age

Gil Cramer

The wooden canoe Shop, Inc.
I have a Peterborough Lake Queen that I'm trying to date. It has a brass tag on the bow deck and the Peterborough decal on the stern deck. IT has no inwales; only outwales. The thwart screws have no brass backing plates on the hull exterior. The canoe was 13" deep instead of 12'. Thanks, Gil

Hi Gil,

I have pictures at home of my Lake Queen, but the canoe is in MI. I know it was built in the 50's as I bought it from someone who went to Peterborough in the 50's to pick it up.

You describe my canoe except for my decal is on the front deck and it doesn't have a brass tag anywhere.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Thanks Paul. The original owner's family thought that it was purchased new in the 1930's, but according to Dan's info, the model wasn't built until the 1940's. My assumption is that it was before WWII because it has a brass tag. The tag reads Peterborough Lake Queen. I'll try to post some photos.

Thanks Paul. The original owner's family thought that it was purchased new in the 1930's, but according to Dan's info, the model wasn't built until the 1940's. My assumption is that it was before WWII because it has a brass tag. The tag reads Peterborough Lake Queen. I'll try to post some photos.

Actually, you have to look at two different model numbers (V604 and 1431) to get the more complete picture from my ID guide. It appears as early as 1937, but I have a gap in my catalog collection spanning 1931-1936, so can't say for certain when it was first catalogued... Depth is listed as 13" only in the 1958 catalog. Not sure that really means anything though.

Thanks Dan.
The number is 1431. The restoration is almost complete so I should have some photos soon. BTW I had both sizes of floorboard clips made by my local fabricator,very inexpensively. The brass used was a kick piece from the bottom of a door. Gil

100_2137.jpg100_2131.jpg100_2138.jpg100_2125.jpg100_2122.jpg

Hopefully, her are some photos of the restored Lake Queen.

Back