7 Carries Maps Needed

Jim Allenspach

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I need some advice about the "Carries" trip. I want to do the 7 Carries up by Paul Smith's in early June this year. I've gotten some fairly basic maps from the Franklin County tourism department. Unfortunately, the paddle path is kind of a wavy line through the lakes. And I don't have a GPS. Where can I get maps that will show me the compass settings for each portage? Topos? Or do I need to worry about that? Nobody in my party has done the 7 Carries. Is there a good guide book that we should get?

Thanks.

Hey Jim, When I was at PSC for the assembly in '04, I purchased a really wonderful map of the entire region which I suspect would be exactly what you're looking for. It's called the Adirondack Paddler's Map. It's a rather large (~36" x 45") full color, waterproof, shaded relief map. It shows portages and camsites and includes important information about "Do's and Don'ts", Forest Ranger contact, etc. It is published by Paddlesports Press, P.O. Box 797, Saranac Lake, NY, 12983-0797. I recall it to have cost around $15. It looks like a great paddle! Regards, Tom

It is a great paddle! That map is really all you need - along with a compass. The portages are well marked with signs. The trip is best taken at a very liesurely pace. It provides a real smorgasboard of Adirondak lakes and ponds. Toward the end you'll have to contend with powerboats, but you'll also see some really impressive Adirondak camps. The map may give you some ideas for side trips.

I paddled that route solo with a father/son team in their restored Old town during Assembly last summer (we did it in less than a day). It's a great paddle and we only used the map Tom mentions to find our way. I picked it up at St. Regis Outfitters in Saranac Lake. It was a piece of cake finding the portages and there are some nice campsites on several different ponds. And if you can't find the trails...who cares, it's nice out there, have fun!

Back