3 section canoe

Tucker Wood

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Good afternoon Everyone,

I am brand new here as well as a new owner of a vintage wooden canoe. I live in Kent in the U.K. and eager to get afloat.
The canoe is supposedly 100 x years old and is in 3 x separate sections. The sections are held together with strong wire.
The canoe is in need of repairs to the woodwork as well as recovering.
Would anyone be able to recommend someone, or a company that could take on the restoration?

Many thanks

Tucker

3 section view.jpg

Hi Tucker

You have what appears to be a Lochaber type canoe as used by Dunnet and Adam in the 1930s and written about in ‘The Canoe boys’ recounting of their adventure trip from Glasgow to Skye.

There don’t appear to be many of this type of boat around. Two replicas were made for the BBC Adventure show about the trip in the book. Not available on iPlayer at present but you can see the boats in the preview. There is an original at the Scottish Maritime Museum but it is not listed on their web pages.

From the ebay photos, the frame of the boat appears to be in good shape. Looking at photos of the reproductions, it appears the decks are plywood and the hull is canvassed. Although I have never worked on this particular type of boat before, I’m sure I could do this work. I’m based in Norwich UK. Alternatives would be to contact boat yards - I think that would be horrendously expensive although you would no doubt get a great job.

PM me if you want to talk further about me helping you out.

Sam

Dear Sam,

Thanks for your reply and all the information, it is appreciated. I will send you a pm and hopefully we can meet up in the early part of 2022.

Regards

Tucker

Back