canvas wood kayak ?

pecobill

I Was Given A Wood Canvas Kayak That Needs To Be Reworked.
It Has A Metal Plate That Says - Owner Built By From Materials Furnished By Mead Gliders -chicago-
Does Anyone Out There Know Any History Of This Craft And Or Possible Picts Of It Built . It Looks Very Old I Would Like To Restore. Any Help Would Be Great .
Thanks, Peco

I second the idea to contact Ralph. Back around Christmas I stopped in the then had a chance to go to one of his storeage areas and view some canoes and such.

I know the conversation passed over the Mead Gliders, I think he has one or two and spoke highly of them.

Give him a call, if he has the time he will be happy to tell you all about them.

Thanks,

Paul

Mead Glider Chicago Kayak

My Aunt purchsed 2 Mead Kayak kits in ~1936; one for my Dad and one for her. Hers had a sail and out-riggers.

My Dad rebuilt his in '49. We salvaged the AL ribs from my Aunts kayak in New Jersey (used it in the ocean) and rebuilt both in '65 (no sail or ouriggers). I took one to Texas in '79 and on to Alaska where it required rebuilding in '81 (which I put off until '93!).

I have some scanned old pics of my Aunt's kayak & one of my Dad. I took alot of pictures during the rebuild (pre digital) so I'll have to scan them if you can use them.

Hope everything works out OK. I can also send copies of Dad's original and my updated rebuild notes if you think they might help.

Karl Lemmerman
Anchorage, AK

Last edited:
I have a Glider that appears to have been constructed by the company. It needs recovering and the outriggers are in poor shape. Were you able to get any information on the suggested recovering materials etc. I am also interested in any newer materials that may be more durable. The current cover is a painted fabric very similar to the covering used on some airplanes.

Thanks,

Larry

You'll be wanting either dacron, available from PLatt Monfort, or Polyester or Nylon About 10 oz., available fron George Dyson. I suggest the nylon. It's the easiest so sew on and will shrink with cold water and a little ironing on sags or wrinkles. any of the abouve will cost somewhere close to $10 per lineal foot of 60" wide stuff. It also comes in 72" wide. Measure the girth of your boat before you order and the lenght along the contour of your keel from tip to tip plus a foot. Finish any of the above with polyurethane. If you want to use water based finishes then use the polyester. They are quite incompatable with the nylon.

Back