26' Freighter Canoes. Anyone know anything about these or built one? Pics Posted

Looks like a Nor-West to me. I have a 2004 20 footer and it is a great boat. I went to their shop just 45 min. North of Montreal to get mine. Its a family operation and they make about 200 a year. They are also known as the "Inuit Pickup" because the bulk of their sales are to the Inuit tribe. They make them from 14 to 26 footers at 2 foot increments. Very stable craft of course. I guide out of mine and it will accommodate two fishermen very nicely. It drafts nothing and is rated for a 35 hp motor.
Here is a picture of my 20 footer on the Upper Magalloway with two of my clients. For those familiar with the Magalloway this is Landing Pool and we started in Parmachenee Lake.

Last edited:
now that's too big.

BigcanoeatLanding2LittleBoyBigBoatLR_zps52024e07.jpg~original
[/URL]

Last edited:
Awesome Owlsroost. You may very well be right about the 26 footer being a Norwest but the bow profile doesn't appear to be typical for that company. There are very few builders of this size of w/c freight canoe today. If I may, a pic of my 2009 20' NW, also picked up at the factory north of Montreal. It's the narrow stern version and 9.9hp pushes it along nicely.

Dave you could be correct. It certainly does not have the same bend in the stem, does it? I have to say I didn't pay that much attention to the Chisasibi. Way too much boat for my use. Good eye!

Beautiful boats. At what point does a "canoe" become a "center console fishing boat."

You have been a busy man Grandlaker! Beautiful canoes - keep up the good work. Where I live in northern Saskatchewan, not a launch goes by where someone doesn't walk over and introduce themselves to talk about the boat - "Grand dad had one", "used one working for the Dept. of Natural Resources", "used to moose hunt with one"... and sometimes people that have had no direct experience with w/c craft. There is a natural attraction to the materials, workmanship and shape, a certain rightness, that attracts people.

Last edited:
Back