1994 Old Town

randy toppen

SN; XTC58725J394

I'm so excited. I just bought my first canoe, an older one, but in great shape. It's an Old Town. There is no model number or name, only the serial number and four letters below that appear to be DCSM.

It has two seats however where the brochure I saw has only one seat.

I am thinking I have a 1994 Penobscot 15 with a Oltonar/Royalex hull. 15'0" in length, 29.5" wide, and 13.5" deep. The measurements fit a description of this 1994 model, other than the two seats. It has a wooden yoke, but no thwart.

Can anyone confirm my research by the serial number?

Welcome, it is my sad duty to report that the scanned Old Town records stop just over 250,000 in 1984 so no one here can provide more detailed information for your serial number 458725. The hull identification number you provided confirms that it was built by the Old Town Canoe Company and shipped in 1994. Sorry,

Benson

But it's not all bad news. You purchased a great boat. Most of the boats we own are wood or wood and canvas but of the ones made from "modern" materials the Penobscot is a favorite. They have really great lines and are virtually indestructible . Parts (decks, rails) are getting hard to find but really decent aftermarket seats and thwarts are available. Give it a good cleaning before giving it 303 treatment and then use it hard. The only caution is to be careful about running the stems onto the shore or over rough sharp surfaces. The Royalex will wear through. Kevlar stem guards can be used to toughen them up.
IMG_0980.JPG

Back