Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

1948 Old Town canoe for sale

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Michaux Hiker, May 6, 2021.

1. Michaux Hiker

Michaux Hiker Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Saw this canoe on Facebook Marketplace. I asked him if it was ok to post here to see what you guys think of it. He hates for it to be scrapped or cut up into bookcases. Definitely needs some work.

Thanks, Mike

1948 Old Town. 16’. Sponsons and some seat parts missing. Worthy of restoration, or rustic display as-is. Or chop it into book cases. This has NOT been fiberglassed over, thankfully. Stored indoors and dry. Solid enough to car-top as-is. Will help load. Pick up in York, PA. Will trade for usable canoe.

Attached Files:

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

I would encourage you to keep looking. This canoe needs a lot of work and a "usable canoe" is likely to be worth several hundred dollars more than this project. The biggest concern to me are the blooms around the tacks which indicate a lot of use in salt water. Those circles are not just on the surface and can't be easily removed. It also means that every tack and screw is likely to need replacement, in addition to the canvas and broken wooden parts. It was a nice canoe once but those days are long gone. Good luck,

Benson

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    MGC likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Michaux Hiker

Michaux Hiker Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Thanks for the info. I wasn't really looking for another canoe, just wanted to help the seller out with options. He wanted 250.00. I am sure the stems are rotted as well.

4. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

This forum isn't really intended for advertising. You may want to consider sending the seller a link to the valuation guide at https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/57/ if you really want to help them out. A $250 price for that canoe seems very optimistic to me. Good luck,

Benson

MGC and Dave Wermuth like this.
  5. MGC

MGC Scrapmaker

Andre should come along and confirm my disposition..... flambeau.:eek: