Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

1939 Kennebec, 17' type B

Discussion in 'Canoe Photo Index' started by Craig Johnson, May 20, 2011.

1. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

When I was restoring this canoe I couldn't find any photos of this specific model so here are some stats and photos. It is a 1939 17' Kennebec (make) and Kennebec (model) with type B finish, which is mahogany rails, seats, thwarts, and 20" decks with coaming. It has outside stems which were extra. 33 1/2" widest bilge and outside of gunwales, about 1" tumblehome, it varies. 13" deep. Ribs are 2 1/8 wide with no taper. The seats, coaming, and rail caps were missing when I got the boat. The seats are just a generic guess but I am fairly confident about the caps and coaming,if not the thickness and height, at least the location, as it was obvious from the shadows left by originals. I put the caps on with screws but they were originally copper nails. The diamond escutcheon is original but the mooring ring is wrong. One thing I found odd was the trim was all Honduran mahogany but the thwarts were Philippine mahogany. If anyone has a similar boat I would love to hear about it.
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. tnyankee

tnyankee LOVES Wooden Canoes

Beautiful Canoe~! Nice work on the restoration.

3. bredlo

bredlo LOVES Wooden Canoes

Lovely restoration and photos! Using that fishing line is a great idea for not visually cluttering the lines of the canoe.

4. chris pearson

chris pearson Michigan Canoe Nut

Very nice!!!!!

5. Ed Moses

Ed Moses LOVES Wooden Canoes

Craig,

Beautiful, excellent work! The interior blends well with the mahogany trim.
    I presume that you stained the interior planking and ribs. If so, what stain did you use?

Ed

6. OP
    OP
    Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

Yes the inside was originally stained mahogany to match the trim. After I stripped it I did a little sanding and then realized the sanding was removing the stain. I was worried that I would have to sand the whole thing and re-stain it to get it even but luckily I was able to just re-stain the sanded areas and it looked fine. I used a red mahogany rather than a dark mahogany to get a good match.

7. workingbadger

workingbadger Mad Badger

How do you tell between Honduran and Phillipine mahogany?

8. tnyankee

tnyankee LOVES Wooden Canoes

They speak different languages;-)

9. Ed Moses

Ed Moses LOVES Wooden Canoes

Phillipine has a lot of whitish streaking throughout the grain pattern and Honduran does not. Honduran has a color and grain that looks similiar to the Redwood of our West coast. Phillipine is also a much denser and therefore is a heavier wood than Honduran that splinters readily and steam bends poorly. Honduran does not have these negative qualities.