1938 Peterborough Sailing Canoe Model Questions

Robert Dye

Hello Friends!
I'm looking for some help identifying the model and understanding the numbers on this canoe. I've included images of two bits of documentation that accompanied the canoe. One is a sales ad for the canoe that indicates its a 1938 Peterborough and some details of its racing history. As far as I can tell the history matches records at the ACA.. Also included is the ACA Measurement Certificate from 1940, it looks legit as well. I'm confused by what appears to me to be a disparity between the numbers stamped into the stem and the serial number on a small plate. Perhaps the plate doesn't belong?
Here is my best interpretation of those markings, I've attached images.

Number stamped into stem: 5907 16
Brass Plate Reads:
VAR CEDAR model
16 FT Serial 3810

I've measured the canoe as best I can and based on what I have and a peak at the 1938 Peterborough Catalog, my best guess would be a sailing version of the Model 44 Canadien.

Weight about 85 pounds
Stem to Stem, just shy of 16 ft.
Width (I'm not sure where this should be measured, there is some tumblehome) but I would estimate the widest part of hull is about 31.5 inches
Depth (interior) about 12.5 inches
5/8 inch ribs 2 inches on center.
She's in pretty good shape, missing the leeboard and there is a very small bit of rot/insect damage on one gunnel. I have more photos if there is anything else that would help.
Thanks for having a look, please let me know you have any insight into the model, date of manufacture, serial number etc.

Polly.jpeg

PollyHistory.jpgPollyMeasurementCertificate.jpg PollyStem.jpeg PollyBrassPlate.jpegPollyDeck.jpeg

There are no known detailed serial number records available for Peterborough so additional information may not be available. Another Peterborough with a similar style tag is shown at https://www.gotoauction.com/sales/view/44606.html#gal but it is clearly not the same model. The list at https://woodencanoemuseum.org/builder-history/peterborough-canoe-company doesn't include a 3810 or 5907 model number. The "VAR CEDAR" may mean a varnished cedar finish. The tag below is also similar but I don't have any more details. There are several people here who know much more about Peterborough canoes than I do so they may be able to give additional information. Good luck,

Benson

Peterborough-154D-7503.jpg

Back