1935 Old Town Square Stern?

Sea18Horse

Greetings all!

My father in law gave us his old canoe. IMG_0448.JPG IMG_0449.JPG IMG_0451.JPG IMG_0452.JPG
He says he's quite certain it's an Old Town. The title says 1935, Builder "unknown". He's had it since the 50s. He says it was old then. My wife remembers tooling around in it when she was a kid. It was 16' originally. At some point in the past he had to cut a foot off the stern so it's only 15' now. He also replaced the gunwales with some composite decking like trek deck or something along those lines at some point in the past. The serial # I find is 16-90222. Any chance of getting a look at the build sheet for this if this actually is an Old Town?

Here is the motor he's always run on it.IMG_0454.JPG Sitting alongside both of mine. I didn't get a chance to put it in the test barrel and try to get it running this summer as I would have liked.

It might be sacrilege but the reason we have it is the wife wants to hang it under the cover on our back deck when it's finished and hang lights in it. I plan to get the motor running if possible and tool around in it a bit before putting it out to pasture. And rest assured We won't be doing any damage to it when we turn it into a chandelier. I'm not going to do any kind of full restoration at this point. I have another project that will take up our time for a while.IMG_0439.JPG

Cheers..........................Todd

Welcome and congratulations, the Old Town with serial number 90222 is a 16 foot long, CS (common sense or middle) grade, square stern model with red western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, maple decks, spruce seats, a keel, outside stems, and a floor rack. It was built between March and June, 1926. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on June, 30th, 1926 to Cheboygan, Michigan. The back side of the record indicates that there was a problem with the paint peeling in September of 1926. Scans showing both sides of this build record can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below.

90222.jpg 90222-b.jpg

These scans and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join, or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your boat. Good luck with the chandelier project. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Benson, Thank you for getting back to me so quickly with that information. Very much appreciated! I very much appreciate the fine work you folks do here. Since I'm unlikely to be able to contribute in any meaningful way to the forum I'm also thankful for the opportunity to donate to the cause. Done!

Cheers...........................Todd

Back