1932-33 16' old town planking tacks

johnwesley

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am replacing some of the planking on this canoe and wondering what size tacks I should use or if there is something other than tacks that are used? Also bronze or brass and is it necessary to use the clinch hammer can't remember exactly what it is called. Thanks in advance for all your comments. 1st rodeo just so ya'll know:)

Also wondering if anyone knows what the original finish on the inside of the canoe was, as it sits it's dark witha bit of alligatoring looks great and would like to keep it but square it away abit, thoughts?

Typically 11/16 inch brass canoe tacks, such as you see on Rollin Thurlow's site,
http://www.wooden-canoes.com/material.htm#hardware, are used on planking. No special hammer is needed to do the job right. You will need a heavy piece of iron as a clincher. I pre-drill holes in the red cedar planking, but not everyone does. Don't re-use existing tack holes. A lot of people will strip old, dark-colored, alligated varnish, but it's your canoe, so if you like that look, some tight sanding and another coat of varnish will keep you going. Tom McCloud

I have access to 11/16 copper tacks to secure the planking, wondering if these are ok? If not I will order some from the website. I have a hard time ordering items from the internet I prefer to lay hands on them 1st.

With standard copper cut tacks you may be prone to splitting the ribs and planking unless the shank diameter is the same as brass canoe tacks. I understand the hands on need when purchasing supplies, but my suggestion is to buy the right tacks for this work from Rollin or any of the other builder/ suppliers listed on the site that sell materials. This type of tack has been the standard for canoes for over 100 years.....why change?

Back