1930's-1940's Penn Yan Car Topper

NJ Mountain Man

Hello-

I am a new member here and I picked up my first canoe out of a old barn from a place that I farm. Its a 1930's-40's Penn Yan Car Topper. The boat is in pretty good shape considering its probably 60+ years old. The canvas has a rip in one spot and is "bubbled" in the other. I was wondering if there is any off-the-shelf glue that I could use to patch this canvas. I was also wondering what to do about the bubbled area, should i slice this open with a razor and patch it? Should I use waterproof canvas off the shelf from the local fabric store for this? Finally, if i was going to paint the boat, what kind of paint should I use? I understand that down the road i should have the whole canoe re-canvassed, but i would like to have a little fun before it gets cold and see if boating is my deal. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

-NJ Mountain Man

Car Topper.jpg

I'd use Gorilla tape for the time being. Oil based paint is preferred. Rustoleum and Valspar tractor paint are good choices. The more expensive paints are worth it for sure but this is a temp fix. cotton duck number 8 probably for new canvas. Canvas can be found on this site, and then there's Google. Sand with 150 or 220 and roll it on with a 4" hi density roller. Nice looking fishing boat.

Back