1930 Old Town AA Square Stern

MerchantMarine

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello, first post here I have a 1930 Old Town Square Stern AA grade. The boat has been in my family for 3 generations. Currently she is undergoing a full restoration in Maine where she has spent her whole life. I have all documentation on the boat. I have 2 questions about the boat and probably will have many more as I start to use her myself, instead of with my father when I was young.

1. Documentation says up to 12 HP motor. Are new 4 strokes to heavy? I was thinking a 9.9 in the 80 LBS area. Growing up my dad had a 10 HP on her 2 stroke.

2. Is it okay to keep her on a trailer? Should I use a trailer with rollers or one with the long guides? Does it matter?

Thanks,

Tim

The page at http://www.yankeeaomci.org/images/johnson/johnsonmodelguide1922-1942.pdf lists a 1929 Johnson P-45 outboard at 12 horsepower and 87 pounds so the weight of a modern four stroke with slightly less power shouldn't be a problem. A similar question came up before at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?9275&p=49319#post49319 if you want some more ideas.

It would probably be best to store the boat upside down on the gunwales but upright on a good trailer is a reasonable option. Trailers with glides or bunks are generally thought to be better for old wooden boats than rollers. It is also important to have good support all of the way back to directly under the transom if you plan to leave the motor in place while hauling or storing it. Others with more experience may be able to offer additional comments. Please reply here if this doesn't answer your questions.

Benson

Last edited:
Tim, I have a honda 2.3hp. Four stoke on a grumman 19 foot square stern. The engine weighs 27 pounds and its air cooled. The honda will achieve max hull speed at just over half throttle on flat water. Windy day almost full throttle is needed. Being a non planing hull I don't see an advantage for more weight and horsepower.

I have a 70's vintage Grand Laker, 19.5'. I purchased a very nice Honda 9.9 four stroke, which weighs something like 90 pounds. The point was made by the previous owner that it would probably not be a good idea to trailer this canoe with the outboard bouncing on the transom. That means that I have to mount a ninety pound outboard every time I use it. Certainly not impossible, but also not ideal. While it's not "green", I'm seriously contemplating purchasing a smaller two stroke, perhaps lower horse power, for those days I'm not feeling quite so "robust".

Also, don't forget that the extra weight requires additional displacement to support it. I think I've read that later designs of the Grand Lakers have fuller sterns to accommodate the extra weight of the heavier 4 strokes. I'd suggest trying a 4 stroke of the size you have in mind before buying. Also ask yourself what you want to do with this canoe. It doesn't take a whole lot to drive a canoe along very nicely. In fact, I'm going to have to put some kind of brake on my 9.9 if I want to troll with it. Even idled way down it moves right along.

Good luck.

Tim I would set up your trailer so the canoe is sitting on the keel with several rollers. Then use carpeted bunks for support side to side to keep the canoe stable not holding any weight. I have replaced lots of ribs on Grand Lakers from improper bunks. Rollers on bunks will chew through your canvas . Do not trailer you canoe with motor on other than short trips on smooth roads. 5 out of the last 6 Grand Lakers I have sold are using 6 hp. 4 stroke Tahatsue and they love them. 60 lb's. internal or external tank. Your canoe will handle that 9.9 but will your back ????

Tim I would set up your trailer so the canoe is sitting on the keel with several rollers. Then use carpeted bunks for support side to side to keep the canoe stable not holding any weight. I have replaced lots of ribs on Grand Lakers from improper bunks. Rollers on bunks will chew through your canvas . Do not trailer you canoe with motor on other than short trips on smooth roads. 5 out of the last 6 Grand Lakers I have sold are using 6 hp. 4 stroke Tahatsue and they love them. 60 lb's. internal or external tank. Your canoe will handle that 9.9 but will your back ????

Gents

Thanks for all the replies it has been all well noted. My Dad reminded me that this is not a canoe styled vessel. He wanted to remind me that it is a boat. The catalog states the width as 44 inch. I have tried to post the catalog photo copy as an attachment but am having trouble. My Applogies if I am stating the obviouse but this is not the typical square stern canoe model.

Catalog photo.

Hope these came out.

The boat is the same model but 20 years newer.
The catalog page is from the info Old Town sent me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 353
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 375
Boat or Canoe it's still cedar ribs planking and canvas covered. Trailer it with the motor on and you will be rebuilding it again.

Back