1928 Kennebec Kyak

Canoeal

Canoe/kayak builder/resto
Today at the chapter meeting one of our members brought a canoe to ID. It turns out to be the hull of a 1928 Kennebec Kyak with the deck removed. Does any one have information of the deck frame, or photos? Fred would like to restore it acurately now that he knows what it is. The hull is a bit spread right now, but appears to be solid (canvas still on...) Serial #22673, if you don't trust my ID.

Last edited:
The Kennebec with serial number 22673 is an 11 foot Kennebec kyak model shown on pages 164 and 165 of volume four in the Kennebec ledgers. It was planked by Mansell on April 17th, 1937. The canvas covering was applied by Mansell on the same day. The rest of the line is blank so there is no other information available.

The scan of this build record can be found by following the link to the attached thumbnail image below. This original Kennebec record is reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The microfilms and scans of these records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) as you know well. I hope that you will renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match. The period catalog image attached below shows the deck style that was available but it's a bit vague about the framing structure. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• k-22673.gif
    k-22673.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 240
  • INSB-2.GIF
    INSB-2.GIF
    201.2 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Benson- Yes I have the information you gave. It is on my computer. The question is the deck; the catalog says it was a canvas deck over a frame. All that is presently missing. Fred wants to restore it correctly and we have no idea what the framework consisted of, and what it looks like. At some point this boats deck was removed an the owner tried to convert it to a layout style duck boat.
Al Bratton.

Ps it does seem I put the wrong date on the forum it is indeed a 1937. Freds other boat He wants to restore is a 1928 OT 18 footer.

Last edited:
Back