1924 18' Old Town Guide's Special

Muhheakantuck

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I recently purchased a 1924 18' Old Town Guide's Special, serial number 81675-18. I am in the process of restoring it, and it appears to be missing its center thwart. However, I was under the impression that the Guide's Special model didn't have a center thwart, but two quarter thwarts. The accompanying ad shows only two thwarts, but that might be the 16' model. Does anyone have concrete evidence either way? And if there is a center thwart, was it a standard thwart or a portage yoke? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 1924 Guide.JPG
    1924 Guide.JPG
    428.7 KB · Views: 260
I'll add information from the 1924 catalog, which indicates the center thwart would be added for an extra charge (at least that's my interpretation of the wording). Is there an indication on your canoe that a center thwart was once there? Seems to me this is one of those situations where you could leave it off even if the boat originally had one, because the center thwart was an option, just like paint color, and you get to choose. But if you want a center thwart, there are probably people here who could trace one and make a template for you to use. Seems to me you could put a portage thwart on the canoe if that's what you'd rather have. The catalog called it a "carrying yoke", but there is no picture.

Catalog image courtesy "The Complete Old Town Canoe Company Catalog Collection, 1901- 1993", available on CD from http://www.wcha.org/catalog/ and http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/cdrom.htm on the web.

Kathy

Attachments

• OT 1924.gif
    OT 1924.gif
    51 KB · Views: 259
Kathy- thanks for the information! It is clear that at some point, a center thwart was present in my canoe, as I can see a difference in the finish around the bolt through the gunwales.

Center thwarts commonly "go missing" because they get in the way of stuff and people. On some canoes, they are attached with wing nuts for easy removal.

Back