1921 OTCA or Yankee

Old_Paddler

Canoe nut
This canoe has been posted on eBay as a Yankee - which is what the build sheet says.
The serial number matches, but from what I know of Old Town Canoes, I believe this is really an OTCA.
Any comments?
1.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
9.jpg
8.jpg

Build record shows 20" decks, so while it looks like an Otca, it matches the record. Only problem I see is the trim doesn't look like mahogany.

Thanks - did not catch the 20" in the build sheet.
I suspect that the thwarts and seats were changed at one time, but the gunwales look like they could be mahogany to me.

Is is unusual for a Yankee to have OTCA decks?

Is is unusual for a Yankee to have OTCA decks?

Yes, as H.E. Pennypacker mentioned but not unique. Old Town and most other builders were willing to modify almost anything that the customer was willing to pay for. I have a Charles River model with long decks like this for example. See the message at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?3823-Double-gunwales&p=19415#post19415 for details. My guess is that the diamond headed bolts were added during a repair since most AA grade canoes from this era were plugged. The rest of the canoe is probably original. The upper right corner of the serial number image may show some broken ribs. It is not far from me if anyone wants help with delivery or temporary storage.

Benson

Back