Old Town 1930 BOAT sticker

MerchantMarine

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I know we can buy an old town canoe bow sticker from the WCHA store but do we have the old town "Boat" sticker. I am of course looking for a period correct sticker from 1930. Any ideas?

Not sure about larger boats, sail boats, or runabouts, but the original stickers that I've seen on Old Town row boats and dingys is the same as what was on canoes of the same period.

Yes, Old Town had logos that said Old Town Boat and Old Town Dinghy. I have seen them on boats and dinghy's from the 20's until the 60's.

This type of logo is not as common as Old Town Canoe.

DSC_0021.jpg

024.jpg

I will reproduce some if anyone has a good scan. Seems like a fun project to do. I assume I could use the same source that made the ones for the WCHA store. Any contact info for who had them made or where to get them made. Then we can add them to the store. Probably low demand but a nice addition.

Benson for the 1930 the background "banner" should be black and the writing white.

Yes, but you may have a simpler solution if you want to be historically accurate. My records don't show the "Old Town Boat" decals before the 1940s and the first "Old Town Dinghy" ones appeared in 1935. It appears that boats in 1930 were still getting the "Old Town Canoe" version as shown below so you can just order a replacement from the store.

Benson

Attachments

• 1930-101943.jpg
    1930-101943.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 395
  • 1928-step-plane.jpg
    1928-step-plane.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 398
Old Town Boat decal - red banner

Here is a 300 dpi scan of the last original Old Town Boat decal that I have tucked away. I can provide different resolution or file format to anyone who wants to take on this project.

There is a small demand for these - I have had three different inquiries just in the last couple weeks.

Dan

Attachments

• Old  Town Boat decal.jpg
    Old Town Boat decal.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 1,036
Benson great info. I will order the canoe sticker to be historically accurate on my boat. Dan I will see what I can do to get these reproduced. I sent a message to the contact us section of the WCHA store. Not sure if that's any of you guys or not. I see that the canoe stickers are OT approved maybe I can get the same permission from OT boat stickers. Unfortunately I have to get back on my big boat soon for work but let me see how this goes or how long it will take once I gather the required info.

I sent a message to the contact us section of the WCHA store. Not sure if that's any of you guys or not.

Yes, your store message went to Dan and me among others. The WCHA's current decal supplier works in large batches so the costs would be exceptionally high for a small run of boat decals. I can help you get approval from Old Town if you get to that point after working out the reproduction details. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question. Thanks,

Benson

I made a about a dozen boat decals last year plus a few of the smaller Old Town logos that came on the 1954 13 1/2 foot Lapstrake. Had a local shop in north Georgia match it. I did reach out to Old Town Canoe in an attempt to get permission but got no response. I'd be more than willing to mail a few out to anyone in need and/or put them in contact with the graphics shop. Proofs and source reference attached.

Attachments

• Old Town Lapstrake.jpg
    Old Town Lapstrake.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 456
  • Old Town Boat Logo.jpg
    Old Town Boat Logo.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 454
  • Old Town Logo.jpg
    Old Town Logo.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 396
  • Old Town Boat.jpg
    Old Town Boat.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 666
Old Town Boat decals

Bill,
I am restoring three Old Town boats- a 1940 dinghy, a 1966 sport boat, and a 1967 sport boat. I would really appreciate decals for them. How can we do this? Eric

I am restoring three Old Town boats- a 1940 dinghy, a 1966 sport boat, and a 1967 sport boat. I would really appreciate decals for them.

You will probably need to work with a local graphics shop to make your own reproductions since Bill hasn't checked back here in a long time. Is there enough of the original decals left to know which type was used on each one? The dinghy might have had one like the example shown at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?13009 from 1935 or like the one shown at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6249&d=1223238835 from 1941. The sport boats probably had ones as shown at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3992&d=1200945870 with a red bar. The easier solution would be to use the canoe versions available from the store as Tom suggested. Good luck,

Benson

Benson, thank you. Yes, on each of the Sport Boats, the original decal is still legible and has the red bar. On the 1940 dinghy, the bar is the same color as the picture of the dinghy you directed me to. I am hoping to do my very best in the restoration of all these boats, but especially the dinghy. The build record shows that this AA grade white dinghy with rope rub rail was originally sent the the Hinkley yard in Maine. I just think it's cool that this dinghy combines such two iconic Maine builders, Old Town and Hinkley.

Eric,
I've got three extra I'm willing to mail to you, or you can order them direct from shop I had print them (address is below). Whichever you prefer. Email me direct if you would like me to mail them and we'll work out the details. As Benson notes though the "Boat" decal may not be the correct one for the 1940 dinghy. I do think the "Boat" decal is likely correct for the the other two but will defer to Benson.
Bill

Visit us on the web @ http://www.mceversigns.com/
McEver Signs and Graphics
355 Quill Drive, Ste 140
Dawsonville, GA 30534
P: 706-216-0990
F: 706-216-0996
E: graphics@mceversigns.com

Last edited:
Does anyone who had the Old Town Boat decal created have any extras you are willing to sell? I am redoing a 1952 outboard, and would love to put on the correct decal. Thanks, Shawn

Back