Portage yokes

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
I am looking to add a portage yoke to my 16 ft. Old Town closed gunwale and having a tough time finding a pattern for this. Are they unique to different builders or are they one size fits all? Where can I get a pattern for this. Thanks for any input.

The easiest way to find a pattern for an early Old Town portage yoke is to buy one on eBay or some other source. The basic shape hasn't changed much over the years although the shoulder pads have gotten smaller and the clamps are slightly different. The modern one shown at http://www.ebay.com/itm/231415199605 is very close to the one shown at http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-nos-town-canoe-padded-138248388 from the 1970s. The period catalogs from http://store.wcha.org/The-Complete-Old-Town-Canoe-Company-Catalog-Collection-CD-ROM.html can provide additional details. The carrying yoke was first pictured in the 1912 Old Town catalog as shown below. Different builders did have slight variations in style but the overall shape didn't change much.

Benson

Attachments

• PAGE-33.jpg
    PAGE-33.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 814
Last edited:
I wanted a yoke without pads for my 1930 OT 50-pounder – my carrying is usually quite shore -- from garage to car-top, and then from car-top to water (though the later can involve a few hundred feet), and I didn’t want padding that would rise above the sheer line, possibly complicating things like loading the canoe onto a car rack. If I were to be portaging serious distances ( a mile or more), I might consider a padded yoke, but this plain one has proved comfortable enough for my purposes.

I couldn't find a pattern, but the shape is fairly simple. I traced the outline of the existing middle thwart onto a piece of hardwood (ash, in this case) some ¾” thick, to copy the shape of the thwart ends and to get the proper length. I then drew the outline yoke center where my neck and shoulders go (after measuring my neck diameter and adding a couple-three inches). I cut the yoke out with a jig saw, eased the edges with a router, and then did additional shaping by hand, mostly with rasps and round surform and microplane tools. I dished out a bit the area where the yoke actually sits on my shoulders. The first yoke I made many years ago for my Mohawk Royalex canoe I made much too thick at first – about 1 ¼” – after some experience, I thinned it down to about ¾” which should be ample for any canoe that you are likely to want to carry.

sm 100_8147.jpg s 101_8417.jpg yoke.jpg

The only important dimensions are the length of the yoke and the space for your neck. The first you get from your canoe, the second you estimate after measuring your own neck and shoulders, determining where on your shoulders you want the yoke to sit. Padded yokes usually allow for some adjustment of the padding.

There are more elegant shapes possible – I think of the yokes in Rollin Thurlow’s canoes -- but this basic shape gets the job done.

The old ones may be stuffed with horse hair. I found it interesting how much "curled hair" the Morris Company invested in. It was used for cushions and the shoulder pads on portage yokes.

The old ones may be stuffed with horse hair. I found it interesting how much "curled hair" the Morris Company invested in. It was used for cushions and the shoulder pads on portage yokes.

Thanks for the great input, now I have a place to start.

Attached is a schematic for a traditional Chestnut canoe yoke. Use 1" or slightly thicker stock so that you can "dish-out" the area around the neck. This design is quite comfortable without any padding, due to the relatively wide surface area conforming to your neck and shoulders, and to the little notch in the middle that prevents the yoke from pressing on your vertebrae. If you're interested, I can email you detailed instructions.

Canoe -- Chestnut yoke schematic.jpg

Jerry could you please email me a copy of the portage yoke from your Chestnut?

Back