12 ft Peterborough

Rod Tait (Orca Boats)

Designer/Builder
Had an inquiry about this canoe. 12 ft, definitely a worn Peterborough decal on fore deck. Serial number is 1446-8975. Very cute little thing and in pretty good condition. Any info on years they may have made them, model etc. would be appreciated. I don't imagine they made that many 12 ft. models.

Here is Shorty. It is a tender canoe. I need to paddle it kneeling. It is fun to use kicking around in swamps, streams, and wetlands.

Fitz
Shorty.jpg

I was thinking of picking this one up for the kids if I can get it for the right price. Light to transport, easy for them to paddle. But not if the canoe is considered too tender.

I have tried two adults, sitting on the seats and prayed for our safe passage. We did not capsize, but it was not much fun. I am not sure what it would do with two kids on the seats.

Brendan was about 12 in the photo. He was paddling it kneeling. He still paddles it kneeling (19 now). I don't believe he has ever had trouble. It is one of those things that you get accustomed too. It might be fun for kids to learn on in warm protected waters with some supervision etc.

Back