12 Foot Wood And Canvas?

hawketown

a friend of mine has a 12 foot wood and canvas canoe. the serial number is 86 7837. it has the heart shapes on both ends. it is pretty light, maybe 50-60 lbs. any ideas! will be up for sale soon!

i'm really more interested in the maker. the cousin who inherited the house told his son that this canoe was his inheritance. seems to be local "folklore" as a prominent and cut throat local businessman also relayed the story to my friend who now owns the house. he wanted to buy it but my buddy wouldn't let him look at it. it's going up for auction this coming Saturday here in Elizabethtown. I figured if I could learn the maker I could get some sense of it's worth and maybe score myself. I read the worth link and could probably take it from there. thanks for the help!

It will take more than a serial number alone to identify this canoe so pictures would help as Paul mentioned previously. Heart shaped decks were used by many builders. The pattern of digits doesn't match any of the common ones and 12 feet is an unusual length. Old Town made 11 and 13 foot long canoes for example. Good luck at the auction,

Benson

the jury is in! the man owning the 12 footer contacted a buddy at the underwood club, south of town, who then contacted his restorer, who inturn, got back to the owner and claims it was a special order Rushton??!! they scraped up the paint and found part of a brass tag with ush, I think, left on it. the hammer price was $525. the local funeral director bought it and I was told his wife has it sitting next to the motel, that they also own, on the ground with flowers in it. the back bidder told them that it should be in a museum. I don't know who he was but that was the only item he bid on and left shortly after. I might have to try and reason with them! oh! serial number was 86 7887. daylight with these 62 year old eyes sure helps! thanks for the help everyone, esp. benson!

Back