Spruce for gunwale repairs?

vtwoodworker

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I"m having a hard time finding spruce for some gunwale repairs on my Huron...anyone have any thoughts? I probably only need like a total of 10', though the sections to repair are probably less than 2' each. Would aircraft grade sitka match ok? Everything I've found is so full of knots its not really usable. Thanks!

Jerry Stelmok recently told me that OT used lots of Sitka Spruce as it was more widely available than local spruce in the quantities they needed. Not sure if this helps you in VT but thought I'd pass it along.

Where in Vermont are you located? If not too far from SE NH, I have Aircraft grade Sitka spruce I secured from a retired experimental aircraft builder as well as some clear Norway spruce that I cut on my sawmill. Either should fill the bill for your short repair sections on your Huron.

Where in Vermont are you located? If not too far from SE NH, I have Aircraft grade Sitka spruce I secured from a retired experimental aircraft builder as well as some clear Norway spruce that I cut on my sawmill. Either should fill the bill for your short repair sections on your Huron.
Thanks, I'm in Jericho. Not sure how far that is from you--I found an online supplier that will ship like 4' sections of sitka, but its not cheap....But, with 2 young kids my time to travel for supplies if very limited...

Back