Stripping varnish

David Satter

Wooden Canoe Maniac
So I thought I'd try something different . Jamestown dist. Total Boats Total Strip. Just started this morning but so far this is working GREAT. The canoe is from 1937. Maybe a layer or two of varnish. Doing a 3 foot section at a time. No smell , cleaning with just water and a scrub pad. I'll try it on something else after this canoe. But so far I love it. I'll let you know how far a gallon goes. Also $79 a gallon . :(

1 gallon did the interior of a 17 foot canoe. not the seats, inwales or outwales. And there was only a couple of coats of varnish on her. I'll definitely use it again. So far the best water /clean up stripper I've used. You have to put it on thick

Last edited:
Hey David, do you have before / after pictures of your stripping? I'm researching the many options for stripper products and your suggestion is great. I'm looking into ordering some. I especially like water solubility. Thanks

Woody, I don't have specific photos of before and after with that stripper. But it does work nice. I usually do the interior after striping with Te-ka cleaner to brighten up the wood. Dave

Back