Not sure what this canoe is.

Mark Kerr

Curious about Wooden Canoes
The stems are splayed like a Morris but don't look the same. The gunwales are closed but not with a top cap, just blocks between ribs. The under the deck structure does not look like a Morris I've seen in the past either.
Not sure what to put on top for a deck. Maybe 1/4" book matched mahogany? Help with this ID would be appreciated.
Mark Kerr

Attachments

• IMG_4754 (1).JPG
    IMG_4754 (1).JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4753 (1).JPG
    IMG_4753 (1).JPG
    102 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_4751.JPG
    IMG_4751.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_4750.JPG
    IMG_4750.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Mark,
You may have what we’ve called a hybrid. Seems as though the original owner of Kennebec hired several builders that worked at BN Morris previously, and they employed Morris build methods in the early years. I agree that the under structure on the decks does not look like Morris, but the stem/gunwale photo does look like Morris.
I haven’t personally seen a lot of hybrids, but the ones I have seen had hardwood stems. Morris used cedar. That could be your defining feature.
Here is a 24” Morris deck with 1/4” book matched deck halves. They came out well. Need to steam them.

Now I have the interior stripped, it turns out the stems are cedar..... No clue of nails holding a number tag though.

Mark,
I think the cedar stem pretty much nails it as a Bert Morris canoe. And as I mentioned the stem tip photo as well as the whole stem profile look like Morris.
BN Morris sometimes put the metal tag on the inwale. Check for a pair of tack holes there.

How are the seats and thwarts?? I’ve got some Morris seats and thwarts. I’m not that far from you.
Dave

Dave ,

The center thwart has definitely been replaced. I plan to make a new one but am not sure of the shape it should be. Seats seem to be original, hand woven.

Mark

Depending on width, I think I have an original. Mahogany.
Let me know if you are interested. I’ll probably never use it.

Back