A Bob's Special Followed Me Home Last Night.

Thanks fellas. The side decals seemed a little flashy for the era. I'm painting her the Pen Yan red from Kirby. I've been waffling on whether to do a shellac bottom or not.

I ended up replacing something like 12 ribs in the center. She was pretty beat up. And the planking is puckering out between the ribs. So the hull undulates a fair bit. But hey. It's better than ending up in a landfill.

IMG_0239.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg
IMG_0242.jpg
IMG_0243.jpg

Very nice!
Well done - and you're right- much better than landfill.

And Benson- You're right too: I need a copy of that CD. The catalogues I have are from mid 60's and early 70's,( plus the reprint of the 1950 catalogue). I do have a copy of price lists too . Not sure if that is useful or not.

Cheers!
Bruce

Little status update.

I she's now painted! took 2 coats of primer an 4 coats of the Kirby Pen Yan Red. Because the planking was so warped it was really hard not to blow through the finish in the high spots. I like the color. Although it was looking pretty orange going on. It might benefit from a 5th coat. But I think it will do for now.

IMG_0250.jpg

I finished her off yesterday!
The hull isn't as fair as I wanted. But there was a lot of puckered planking between the ribs. And I had to replace every rib in the midsection(17). There were times when I didn't think I was going to end up with something that looked like a canoe again.

IMG_0251.jpg
IMG_0256.jpg
IMG_0252.jpg
IMG_0253.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg
IMG_0255.jpg

You'll have to celebrate with some New Belgium Blue Paddle pilsner - the package canoe looks a lot like yours. Nice work, and a far cry from where you started!

(also looks like you have an ash tree next to the driveway like me)

Beautiful!
You did a terrific job and the finished vessel looks great.
I'm happy to report that my Bob's was removed from winter storage and placed on the canoe rack at the cottage this past weekend.
Now to get to the cottage and paddle...
to the canoe rack.jpg

Back