1939 Howe 15 Foot Canoe

Aschneid

Curious about Wooden Canoes
IMG_0374.JPGIMG_0381.JPGIMG_0390.JPGIMG_0464.JPGIMG_0487.JPG

Very nice, you may be interested to know that the father of two of the founders of the Old Town Canoe Company grew up in Coopers Mills.

Benson

That is VERY interesting! I have been trying to find information about the maker of this boat for some time, with very little luck. The canoe is all shined up for her trip to the Assembly Meeting! She has been stored along with her original kneeler pads and 3 paddles indoors and haven't seen water in at least a decade. Hope someone can tell us more about her.

Steve Ambrose from Ambrose Canoes will be displaying this canoe at his booth at The Assembly Meeting next week. Please stop by and see this and several other canoes he is bringing. She is a gem and would love to hear from anyone who might know something about Howe canoes!!!

I have a reprint of the 1939 catalogue which only states "local canoe builder". I have contacted a gentleman who now owns the original Howe building and remainder of the store contents. He worked there as a teenager and was also unable to provide any info as to who may have made them. I also have joined a local Whitefield town page and asked locals if they knew anything. While many remembered Ed Howe, no one seems to know much about the canoes.

Ahrin

IMG_0550.JPGLoaded and ready to go! Thank you Steve Ambrose from Ambrose Canoes! Safe travels to our sweet Howe, hope everyone enjoys seeing her!

Sadly, my father passed away a few short weeks ago, before we were able to learn more about his Howe Canoes history. Although Dad's voyage in this world may have ended, the Howe Canoe's story is not over. Steve Ambrose was very gracious to have taken her to The Assembly Meeting in July, and our family is forever grateful for that. It meant more to my father than anyone could understand. To cast his rod from that canoe, experience the beauty of a stream while gliding in her, and truly grasp the uniqueness of a finely built canoe can only be understood by a select few. I am indebted to you Steve, and the moment will be forever with me.

I've owned a 15 ft Howe for about forty years. The previous owner told me it was made in 1939, but the decals - instead of brass plate - on the decks suggest it may be of later manufacture. The decals (on both decks) read "Howe Fur Company - Coopers Mills, Maine - Ed Howe's Maine-Made Best."

The canoe is 15 ft by 37 inches wide by 13 inches deep. I removed the keel. It's a nice craft for solo tripping, with plenty of storage and ample rocker for rapids. I"ve used it on both the Allagash and Saint John Rivers.

Back