Finished :)

samb

LOVES Wooden Canoes
A bit of advice, a bit of thinking, a bit of work and lots of varnish change this

DSC01788.jpg

into this

DSC02354.jpg

Full story can be found here

Thanks to all who helped in anyway

Sam

What a great story, Sam.

Amazed at the lengths to which you went to preserve this historic vessel. "Boil in a bag" stem bending- neat idea.
Have you had it on water yet? I'd be interested to know how waterproof the repairs are.

Looks teriific and thanks for sharing.

Bruce

What a great story, Sam.

Amazed at the lengths to which you went to preserve this historic vessel. "Boil in a bag" stem bending- neat idea.
Have you had it on water yet? I'd be interested to know how waterproof the repairs are.

Looks teriific and thanks for sharing.

Bruce

Had it briefly on the water - one area that needed proper attention, others that I think will stop leaking after a while in the water. We'll know properly a week on Sunday

Sam

Bring a sponge - just in case :)

Indeed...a sponge is a wooden canoe essential....along with duct tape, ambroid cement and a PFD.
I can recall several maiden voyages (pre-repair) where the water sloshing from side to side seemed like it would take the boat over into the drink..oh yeah... bring a flask of good bourbon whiskey along for a shore celebration after you make it back.

Indeed...a sponge is a wooden canoe essential....along with duct tape, ambroid cement and a PFD.
I can recall several maiden voyages (pre-repair) where the water sloshing from side to side seemed like it would take the boat over into the drink..oh yeah... bring a flask of good bourbon whiskey along for a shore celebration after you make it back.

Definitely Duct tape, PFD and sponge but may not agree with you about the Bourbon- Scotch or Beer more appropriate in my case!
And Ambroid Cement- what has replaced that now?

Bruce

And Ambroid Cement- what has replaced that now?
Bruce

Ambroid was basically nitro-cellulose material dissolved in acetone and/or other solvents. Duco cement (aka model airplane glue), made by Devcon, is a very similar product, and should perform similarly. It has the advantages of being one part, relatively quick to dry, easily undone (acetone will dissolve it), and water resistant -- waterproof for all practical purposes. It's not a particularly strong glue, except when gluing certain plastics, when its solvents will soften the plastic and essentially weld the plastic as the solvent evaporates. It can still be effective for small patches to canvas -- but for temporary or emergency repairs, duct tape will often be more useful.

Aha!Good to know.

I am a model builder and use various hot and cool glues, cements, adhesives etc. for styrene, resin, brass but have never come across Duco. And i know that most of the glues i use won't hold canvas...

I'll track down a tube and throw it in the repair kit- the last of my ambroid has dried up in the tube!
Bruce

Back