Rushton Indian Girl #5123 project canoe

Usual mark on thwart. Do save it; maybe when you apply finish it will pop a bit more. Like Fred's photo (and you can see it above on Jim's original thwart too), here are a couple more, one from Dan's site, and one I have saved but don't remember its origin:

https://woodencanoemuseum.org/decal-image/j-h-rushton-0

IG thwart label trade mark.jpeg

Howie,
Here is a better picture of mine. Mine is cherry which would take a stamp more cleanly than the oak thwart you have.
Jim
IMG_4053a.JPG

Fred & Michael! Son of a gun! That's what it says... if you hold it in the light at just the right angle! And if you know what to look for... Except it's on the upper side of my thwart.
US
TRADE
INDIAN GIRL
MARK
REGISTERED

Thank you!

Let's all tag up!
The thwart tag is found on the top side of the center thwart on all of these inc. IG's. I have never seen one (and I have seen quite a few) stamped on the bottom.
These would have had the typical Inc. decal on the deck, not on a thwart. I presume the decal would have been on a king plank on the long deck but it was long gone when I got this canoe.
Here is the marking from one of mine from before it was varnished:
Decals and Tags | Wooden Canoe Museum

So it occurs to me, you traded a salad for this canoe. My buddy that I got it from traded a Grumman for it. I gave him an Abercrombie and Fitch OT Sponson canoe that he was supposed to trade for it.
Rushton%20IG%20Thwart.jpg

Last edited:
Mike: So it looks like my two thwarts are original. So I guess I won't be replacing both of them - just the one that's all chewed up. Luckily the one with the stamped Rushton info is the one in good shape.

So Mike, strictly speaking I won't be needing thwart measurements from you. But it would be very interesting to see how long your thwarts are and where they are located on the canoe, because it seems that Jim Clearwater's IG is about 2" wider than mine. I'm thinking I'll end up measuring about 29" between the inner rails at the canoe's center, and about 31" at the beam (distance between the outer planking surfaces at the center).

Also, while you're at it, can you whip up some dimensions for your two seats. Likely won't be building them until the winter, so no hurry.

But it would be very interesting to see how long your thwarts are and where they are located on the canoe, because it seems that Jim Clearwater's IG is about 2" wider than mine. I'm thinking I'll end up measuring about 29" between the inner rails at the canoe's center, and about 31" at the beam (distance between the outer planking surfaces at the center).
Also, while you're at it, can you whip up some dimensions for your two seats.

So....the IG is way up and hard to reach.
Hole to hole the bow thwart position is 25 inches.
The stern thwart is 24 1/2 hole to hole.
The width of the hull, inside rail to rail (outside to outside) is 29 3/4. Yours should be pretty close to that.

For giggles I measured my Indian (15 foot) and that is just under 30 inches wide measuring inside (and not the rail caps).
The Brown hole to hole for both thwarts is 26 3/8. It is 30 1/4 wide inside rail to rail (outside to outside). It is 15 1/2 feet.

I have bits and pieces of seats. I have the original seats from an IG that I can lend you for patterns.
I also have a form for bending IG stems. You are welcome to borrow it. I also have an elm I am ready to cut for stem wood if you want to retain originality.

I'm keen on keeping original wood whenever possible. I will add some pictures of some porcupine damage on the Brown. Some of it I left. It's character. Anything that is structural I replaced or repaired.
I'm getting the push to light the grill, so later.

Thanks for the info & offer Mike. So sounds like this IG is a mate to yours. Very good to know.
I'll let you know about the other stuff.
Just epoxied a scarf cut for the cracked inner rail by the thwart. Happened to have scraps of NOS Old Town Yankee Inner rail that are the right dimensions. Never throw anything away.

Back