Materials needed for new canoe

Dave, could you give a bit of detail for me about waterborne aircraft filler? I've googled it and can't find anything that looks like it would do the job in the UK. It would be great if you could send me a link to the product you use.
Thanks
Sam

I'm not Dave, but I look a little bit like him. More to the point, I used the same filler that he does. It is called EKoFill (formerly Cecofill), made by Stewart Systems (https://stewartsystems.aero/ekofill/). I'm pretty sure I posted my technique on the forums previously.

Dan

I would like to not complicate matters but some have been using a latex product with good results and no lengthy drying times. I get mine from sherwin/williams paint store. It is an exterior latex primer/sealer and I've had good results. For the last coat (of 3 or so coats) I mix in a latex lightweight spackle 50/50 or so. I am happy with my results. My canoe restoration mentor told me that he uses any sealer/primer that is exterior. I dare say that years ago, before internet, people would just use porch paint. AS to canvassing; it is more intimidating in concept than in the doing of it. I think applying canvas is about the easiest step in the restoration process. And yes, there are several ways to skin the cat.

Thanks for this Dave. Sounds a lot cheaper than Ekofill. I presume that the filler you use is pre mixed not powder, and that you 50:50 mix is by volume?

Next time one of my boats needs a new canvas I'll give it a go. Based on hoping a canvas should last about +15 years, I'd better be on the lookout for another fixer upper!

That filler sounds interesting Dave. Also while I'm thinking about it, just if someone is new here. If 3M5200 is on your material list...through it away I've spent all morning today cutting and scraping it off an 18 foot keel.:( They also fastened the canvas to the oak transom with it. Do it right with Dolfinite.

Thanks for this Dave. Sounds a lot cheaper than Ekofill. I presume that the filler you use is pre mixed not powder, and that you 50:50 mix is by volume?

Next time one of my boats needs a new canvas I'll give it a go. Based on hoping a canvas should last about +15 years, I'd better be on the lookout for another fixer upper!

Having problems with translation English English to American English!

I meant to ask if the spackle you use is pre mixed. . . . we call it filler here . . not to be confused with filler for a canoe!

Sam

The spackle is exterior/interior lightweight and yes, it comes premixed. It's about like marshmallow fluff. I then mix it in with the Problock primer/sealer which I added a packet of anti microbial. I brush it on and use a squeegee to smooth it. I don't singe my canvas anymore, like I used to do before the fire. I do sand it with 220 after each coat. I use about a gallon of filler per canoe. I had bad results with traditional filler, due most likely to operator error. Results with latex has been good.

Attachments

• 7.13.20.restored.jpg
    7.13.20.restored.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 172
I would like to not complicate matters but some have been using a latex product with good results and no lengthy drying times. I get mine from sherwin/williams paint store. It is an exterior latex primer/sealer and I've had good results. For the last coat (of 3 or so coats) I mix in a latex lightweight spackle 50/50 or so. I am happy with my results. My canoe restoration mentor told me that he uses any sealer/primer that is exterior. I dare say that years ago, before internet, people would just use porch paint. AS to canvassing; it is more intimidating in concept than in the doing of it. I think applying canvas is about the easiest step in the restoration process. And yes, there are several ways to skin the cat.

Dave - sorry for the continued questions, but do I understand you correctly - but to new canvas you apply several coats of the latex primer (assuming you work in the first coat deep into the weave) - apply 2or 3 more coats- and the final filler coat is the primer slacked mix squeegeed?

Yep. But I squeegee after the first layer followed by sanding. And I sand between coats. The exterior latex lightweight spackle is what I do for the last two coats or three. I'd say it's optional. When it comes to primer, i don't squeegee the primer. Just wait a day and sand the primer. In general I use a gallon of filler, a quart of primer and a quart of color. I usually get three coats per quart. A better finish would need more paint and sanding.

Back