PennYan painters ring.

Norm Hein

Canoe Codger
I have this same painters ring on my PennYan? Is this a factory option or just the easiest for people to do?

upload_2020-3-24_11-58-0.png

This is from my Carry model.
36711-d83373a3f17ab2eb92526898945364e4.jpg

Last edited:
MGC is the undisputed authority/enthusiast on through-deck protrusions. I will defer to his musings.
Finally someone who appreciates my areas of competence and expertise! I have made a life long study of deck butchery. Case in point, Norm has actually inquired about a closed screw eye hook. These are a common hardware store item. They probably hold a bit better than a painter ring would until the deck spits in half. I recently removed a similar feature from the decks of an Old Town Tripper...that was quite an interesting set-up.
The painter or tie rings that were offered as an option by most canoe builders differ in that they are held to the deck by a small strap or a j-bolt that allows the ring to move....or, in the case of Rushton or SLBC they were a bit more elegant round bronze adornments with a hoop. For Andre, a picture of one of my favorite deck protuberances.....
Deck dec. 1 OT.png
Deck dec. 2 GC.png
Deck dec. 3 pnut.png
Deck dec. 4 JHR.png
Deck dec. 5 Gas Lamp Mount.png

Last edited:
MGC,
Nor am I fan of protuberances so they definently will not be going back on. Hopefully I can get a good grain match with a plug to cover up the butchery. On most of my strippers I drilled a hole in the deck and ran a painter line through it. I wont do that anymore. I am a big fan of carry thwarts to tie painter lines to and that is what I will do on all of my new builds. Thanks for the input.
Norm

MGC,
Nor am I fan of protuberances so they definently will not be going back on. Hopefully I can get a good grain match with a plug to cover up the butchery. On most of my strippers I drilled a hole in the deck and ran a painter line through it. I wont do that anymore. I am a big fan of carry thwarts to tie painter lines to and that is what I will do on all of my new builds. Thanks for the input.
Norm
That sounds like a plan. Those eye bolts get caught on everything. The painter rings are really there for a guide line, not as a tie down point. Back in the day canoes were not loaded on car roofs and hauled around at 60/70 mph. They were more likely to be loaded on a wagon or carried place to place. Carry thwarts are also my favorite tiedown but I also tie to the seat frames if there aren't carry thwarts. A piece of flat webbing looped between the cant ribs can also make a good tie point. The bolts are a pretty mild form of butchery...the real nightmares are the giant holes that folks bore through their decks so that they can pass a piece of rope through them....

Back