First new build of the winter...

Andre Cloutier

Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.
Pulled the first of 2 from the prefire cruiser form, with spruce rails and birdseye trim. Next one will be ash and plain maple, to see how it sails. Gotta love a heated shop, after years of freezing.

Attachments

• chestnutcruiser.jpg
    chestnutcruiser.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 477
Andre, I think your the one who likes sponsons? After two in a row I'm still not feeling it :)IMG_4231.JPG Paint room is heated. Large part of the shop just a woodstove. If I get a good fire going I can get it up to 50 degrees by lunchtime.

Hey David,
I want a Chestnut sponson boat mostly so i can hang an engine in it and stand on the edge!
chestnut sponson.jpg

outboard, no sponsons lol

Attachments

• 59A832BB-B4C3-4521-8F9D-154494D9ADDD.jpeg
    59A832BB-B4C3-4521-8F9D-154494D9ADDD.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 316
That's cool! I live near all the lakes in northern NJ and the Poconos in Pa. To many square sterns. two in the shop now and one in my truck. Everyone wants them back for April trout fishing. These things are a lot heavier now than they were 20 years ago.

I want a Chestnut sponson boat mostly so i can hang an engine in it and stand on the edge!

Standing on the rail of a motor canoe was popular during that era as shown in the 1908 White catalog below. These men remembered to keep their paddles handy. Andre, please post pictures when you try this.

Benson

page-13.jpg

Last edited:
One modern paddler weighs as much as 2 of those old-time scrawny guys. I'd maybe need bigger sponsons. Guess I'll stay seated like Dad always said.
What do you suppose that double-ended craft is in the background?

What do you suppose that double-ended craft is in the background?

I suspect that it is a batteau as shown below. These were in common use during that era and were even offered in the Carleton catalogs. The bridge between Old Town and Indian Island wasn't built until 1950.

Benson

Batteau-2.jpg Batteau-4.jpg Batteau-5.jpg Batteau-8.jpg Batteau-10.jpg Batteau-11.jpg Batteau-7.jpgBatteau-9.jpgFerry.jpgPAGE-15.JPG

Last edited:
I’m not saying I’m going to try it but if you notice you will see that their paddles are braced on the opposite side of the center line of the canoe thus distributing some of their weight off of the gunwale. I believe I’ve seen Omer Stringer do something similar on a canoe without sponsons

[QUOTE
What do you suppose that double-ended craft is in the background?[/QUOTE]
looks like a pointer, likely for log driving

What a beautiful row-boat. Looks like you could nest them for transport like whaleboats or dories.

Back