Missing Canoe Data?

Dan Lindberg

Ex Wood Hoarder
I think I remember that data about canoes; Models, dimensions, weight, years built, etc, used to be on the web site, and/or on Dan's dragonfly site, but I couldn't find anything today when I looked.
Could I just not find it or has it all been removed?

Dan

I poked around for a while looking for that the other day...I wonder if that could become a tag on the landing page? There is one blank spot remaining on the South West corner.....
Folks don't seem to be finding the information. There have been several recently posted questions that could have been easily answered if the OP knew that there is a manufacturers database is a summary of the different builders history. Yes, the radio button is there on each page if you look...perhaps it's just not the right name?

I do believe the info you are looking for was once part of the Dragonfly Canoe Works (DCW) site. Due to the same issues with site hosting providers that led to the changes in the WCHA site, the DCW site was likewise affected. While I have started to rebuild it (and add some of the same information to the WCHA site), it has always been a labor of love and a one-man-show. The old DCW information is archived, but my own interests and businesses have taken a different direction, and my interest in maintaining the DCW site (and giving away information for free) has waned.

There has always been room for other folks to step up and take on some of this type of work for the WCHA site, and I would be happy to facilitate if someone(s) wants to. Yet, the site has been the Dan-and-Benson show for some twenty-plus years with very little contribution from anyone outside of the Forums, and with the WCHA declining at the rate it is, I am not optimistic that anything will change.

Thanks for the responses, and this is what I suspected.

Benson/Mike,
Yes, I found the manufacturer pages, but didn't see any data, just verbal descriptions.

Dan,
Yes, I know you and Benson have put in a lot of time and energy building and maintaining both web sites. Thank you for that.
I do understand interests changing, especially as I get older. I have been reducing the fleet for 7-8 years now, and am down from about 25 to 11.
But, out of stubbornness I still have that beat up old 16 ft White I got from you.

Specifically I was looking for the weight of a 18.5 White Guide, (I guessed)
In the past, models with dimensions, years built and often weights were listed on the sites.
I suppose I could have looked at the CD but in this world of the wide web and Google,
but I was hoping to find it quickly with a push of a button.

Dan

I do believe the info you are looking for was once part of the Dragonfly Canoe Works (DCW) site. Due to the same issues with site hosting providers that led to the changes in the WCHA site, the DCW site was likewise affected. While I have started to rebuild it (and add some of the same information to the WCHA site), it has always been a labor of love and a one-man-show. The old DCW information is archived, but my own interests and businesses have taken a different direction, and my interest in maintaining the DCW site (and giving away information for free) has waned.

There has always been room for other folks to step up and take on some of this type of work for the WCHA site, and I would be happy to facilitate if someone(s) wants to. Yet, the site has been the Dan-and-Benson show for some twenty-plus years with very little contribution from anyone outside of the Forums, and with the WCHA declining at the rate it is, I am not optimistic that anything will change.

That sums up my recent thoughts about the state of this hobby. I was recently visiting the shop of one of the premier builders and surprised to find that he was building very few new boats and doing restorations as his primary business. I look around at the folks that I know that are still passionate about these boats and see a lot of grey beards. Even when I was first interested in wooden canoes the folks that had an interest in collecting information, canoes, building and restoring them was a subset of canoeists and that was when there were a lot of canoeists. I recently returned from a trip to Maine and in the entire trip I did not see one roof topped wooden canoe and very few tandem canoes. There were scads of kayaks and paddle boards.

Dan, I'll shoot you a PM about the possibility of transferring data to the WCHA site. I might be able to add that to the already overwhelming pile of things I am doing. I have spent a lifetime trying to learn about canoes and I know how difficult it is to accumulate information. What you and Benson have compiled needs to be available to the next generation of canoeists. Much like the boats that we are restoring that will be here for another hundred years, the history of those boats also needs to be preserved....

So what's the deal with the Dragonfly site? Is it no longer maintained? Is that data up for grabs? Don't want to step on anyone's toes but what's keeping me from copying and pasting all of that into the research forum?

So what's the deal with the Dragonfly site? Is it no longer maintained? Is that data up for grabs? Don't want to step on anyone's toes but what's keeping me from copying and pasting all of that into the research forum?

To answer the first part of your question, the Dragonfly is still owned and actively maintained. By me. In fact, in the last year my site has been rebuilt with the intent of making it even better and easier to use. But because I am in the midst of starting up a new business, while still serving as webmaster for the WCHA and editing Wooden Canoe, the Dragonfly site has received lowest priority.

With respect to the second part of your answer, only honesty and respect for copyrights.

In any case, much of it has already been posted to the WCHA site here: http://wcha.org/manufacturer

So, yes Dan is a treasure and I can prove it....I have been searching for way over a decade trying to find a similar decal for my 08 Old Town. Impossible to save the decal ans as well no pic really possible....but the eye and attachments recalled .....gold / yellow background with a touch of blue on the scroll......no one could help.....then Dan's list comes to me and number 42 of 86 does the situational awareness thingy.....and from Ben yet . Benson, if you still have a good enough pic, I would try to get it reproduced for us and put it on the Store. There must be others in need . Dave

Thank you for doing all of the work on the site in the first place.

Don't mean to offend... Just asking the question. I wasn't sure if the site was completely dead or not. Lots of sites end up fallow in a field and not taken care of by their authors. Mostly because the authors lose interest or worse. Just thought it would be a shame to lose all that work.

Good luck with your efforts!

Last edited:
Listen to all those printers spooling up.....
The print spooler service is not running

Love and kisses, Win 10

Benson, if you still have a good enough pic, I would try to get it reproduced for us and put it on the Store. There must be others in need .

The image is attached below with the related build record. I never saw the canoe in person so a better quality version is not readily available. This doesn't seem like a high demand item so the store may not be interested. I would like one if you make a reproduction. Thanks,

Benson

1906-4970.jpg 4970.jpg

If this is the same decal that would have been used in 1912, I would also like to have one.
Tom McCloud

Back