Trying To Id Family Canoe?

Al Beavers

Family Canoe (circa 1947)
IMG_0916.JPG
Last known boat title was from 1975 identifying it as a 1947 Old Town canoe. Problem is, relatives hint that it's older than that. Old photos shown the canoe in use prior to 1947.
The canoe's overall length is 17 ft. 6 in. Numbers stamped fore and aft are 770 17. In using Old Town canoe's registry, the design and serial numbers don't qualify this as one of theirs?
Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0922.JPG
    IMG_0922.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0923.JPG
    IMG_0923.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0931_LI.jpg
    IMG_0931_LI.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0942 (2).JPG
    IMG_0942 (2).JPG
    232 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
The title says "Mfr's Serial Number 31917," which doesn't match up with the "770 17" on the stem, so I'm wondering if this title is for a different boat... Also, could there be additional digits hidden under the finish, where it hasn't been sanded off yet? It's always hard to find and see these things, on long deck boats.

The stem numbers are pretty legible and seem to make sense. The numbers and construction seem to suggest that it's not an Old Town.
These types of serial numbers are most often found on Charles River canoes...the details that (along with the SN) suggest that it is not an OT include the seat hangers, style of half ribs, outside rails and comings. Two thwarts and no sign of a missing one also suggest Charles River...to me...but I''m wrong about every other time. It looks like a nice canoe.
I have a feeling that the bow seat hanger is the tell that will ID it.

I looked at it earlier, and missed the important detail. Looking again, it is clear it has the arrowhead deck, so it was built by the St. Louis Meramec Canoe Company (or one of its successors) of St. Louis, Mo.

Too funny..I almost suggested St. Louis but when I did not see (notice) the arrowhead I took the other path, Charles River. Good eye....

Gentlemen,IMG_0914.JPG
Your replies have been most helpful. This led to even the probable Akron POS. The questionable title's serial number, H31917, was a number assigned by the watercraft authorities in Ohio. The stamped numbers in both forward and aft is 770 17.
The decks are mahogany arrowheads, forward measuring 32" and aft measuring 26". Maximum width is 36". The seats were probably woven caning, but were recovered with cloth backed vinyl. In addition, we've learned of the phrase "courting" canoe. Makes sense given the reclining back is there. There are narrower additional slats between the ribs through out the canoe. There is a half-round brass strip that runs from bow to bow (part appears to have broken off).
So, it's safe to say that this a St. Louis Meramec canoe. As far as model were guessing "Gastonade" (sp). Anybody know if Walter Hauck is available to give more information? Thanks to all!

Attachments

• IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 364
I stayed out of this because I didn't see the arrowheads, but I did notice the town of Clinton on the incorrect Ohio registration. My Dad gradated from Clinton HS 1935, when Clinton still had a HS. Is the canoe still near there? Must have spent a few days floating down the Tuscarawas. Tom McCloud

Was told my uncle often went down a canal near the old homestead. But, has put in the other places like the Cuyahoga River and Portage Lakes. Currently, the canoe resides in Dayton, Indiana.
IMG_0933.JPG

“But I’m wrong about every other time”

And it is as you have prophesied.... lol

Indeed...I know what I know and not a thing more! Never did and never will........best of all, I now know that I don't know what I don't know. Having accepted this allows me to predict my imminent failure with amazing accuracy.
I was so focused on the crack on that one deck that I never saw the inside rails..even though I was looking for the arrowhead....
as always, my pleasure to entertain the great fire-maker.

Canoe #770-17: Beautiful canoe! It's wonderful it has been in your family so long. I would say it's a St. Louis Meramec canoe.
From the information I've gathered and an educated guess, I think your canoe was made circa 1925. The company sold boats and canoes through dealers in Akron and Dayton.
I've seen photos of two other SLMC canoes with long decks. Ralph Freese sent us photos of a long-deck Meramec canoe he was trying to sell for someone.
The other was a photo of a long-deck canoe on a bulletin board in the old factory, with a person's name on it. I called all over St. Louis for that canoe. I never located it.
In some of the SLMC catalogs they offered up to five-foot decks, but I have no idea if they produced any. I think they would have built anything anyone ordered.
This is probably a rare canoe---don't think they made many of those old beauties! Wally

From the information I've gathered and an educated guess, I think your canoe was made circa 1925.

Would you be willing to provide some serial numbers with dates (or other information from your records) to create a chart like the ones at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/oldtown_chart.html for Old Town and http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/carleton/carleton_chart.html for Carleton? This might be a great help for situations like this. Let me know if you want to discuss this further. Thanks,

Benson

Walter, I can certainly value your expertise.
Could you contact me on FB messenger?
Thanks, Al Beavers

Here is a postcard from Forest Park, St. Louis (not too far from Valley Park, where Meraco canoes were built). Note it is a long deck canoe with coamings, and might also be a St. Louis Meramec canoe.

Attachments

• Forest Park St Louis.jpg
    Forest Park St Louis.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 380
The stem numbers are pretty legible and seem to make sense. The numbers and construction seem to suggest that it's not an Old Town.
These types of serial numbers are most often found on Charles River canoes...the details that (along with the SN) suggest that it is not an OT include the seat hangers, style of half ribs, outside rails and comings. Two thwarts and no sign of a missing one also suggest Charles River...to me...but I''m wrong about every other time. It looks like a nice canoe.
I have a feeling that the bow seat hanger is the tell that will ID it.
I have a Robertson which is one of the Charles River canoes, my Dad bought it used back in the 30's. we just found the serial number, but I guess records aren't readily obtainable.. we believe the canoe is around 100 years old, we just had it refurbished here in NH by a quality restorer. Here's a couple of pictures and a not very good one of the serial number, but that looks like 1891 with a space then either a 17 or a 19.. I am assuming that maybe the 1891 refers to the numerical order it was built, and if that's a 19, it is actually 19 feet at the farthest points.. anybody got any assistance to pass on to me? would love to find out how old it really is, we really don't care what it's worth, it's priceless to us and will be handed down to the next generation..

Attachments

• Dad's canoe serial number.jpg
    Dad's canoe serial number.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 392
  • Dad's Canoe.jpg
    Dad's Canoe.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 390
  • Dad's canoe II.jpg
    Dad's canoe II.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 394
Back