UFO Peterborough?

Treewater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Got this in NJ. Belonged once to a racing canoe club there. Passaic River Club? Got a sail but no mast, one lee board. common logo painted on both. Anyone recognize the club or boat?

Attachments

• IMG_4447.jpg
    IMG_4447.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_4446.jpg
    IMG_4446.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_4452.jpg
    IMG_4452.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_4478.jpg
    IMG_4478.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 380
The ACA burgee is at top. The seahorse is the insignia of the Knickerbocker canoe club. The number is probably the owner's ACA membership number. The last flag probably designates an officer of the club.

Thanks Dan.
A google search indicates this canoe was likely in the club's barge when the club had to vacate their location for urban development. The lee board and sail I have would have belonged to member 9067, an officer of the club? I'm sort of thrilled to have a relic of such an old and honorable canoe club.
For those who may read this in the future. I saw a you tube video of a 4th of July gathering of the remaining members. They were till gathering and the canoe I have shows attempts to stop the hull leaks, mostly at the stems and keel area, with bathtub sealant. Someone in the video perhaps. The sail is big, 8 ft tall in a sloop rig but no mast unfortunately.

Last edited:
From all the posts so far I'm calling this a "wide-board raised rib & batten Peterborough." Am I getting closer? In this photo an owner used tape on both side then painted over the tape.
IMG_4448.jpg

I have a Canadian Canoe Co wide board. Immediate differences with yours are that mine has a semi circular deck and the stem profile is more curved (and yours doesn't appear to have a plank missing :(

Sam

Mine does have a semi-circular deck, or I'd call it that, and I measure 33" to the outside of the gunwale, 30" to the outside of the boards. It did belong apparently to a racing club member and as I mentioned, the decks are short and the alleged sail (could have been from another canoe) is tall, 8'. I still cannot give it a manufacturers' name but only the general description 'Peterborough rib and batten wide board'. Can we enlarge and clarify that entry for manufacturers? The List only identifies "Ontario Canoe Company." It seems that is a little too general for all these wide boards and strippers.

ACA member 9067 was Robert S. Pino, whose address was given as Flushing (Bayside, Long Island), NY. He is listed as a member of the North Jersey Canoe Club, which later changed its name to the Wanda Canoe Club. There is a second Robert S. Pino with a higher number who might be a son.

The flag with the anchor may belong to one of these clubs. Their totem was a penguin with a paddle.

The Wanda Canoe Club is still in existence (https://www.facebook.com/wandacanoeclub/) - you might contact them to see if the club has a historian.

This time I'm just flabbergasted that anyone could come up with such an obscure, and old, fact. #9067 is Robert S. Pino? I suspect he is long gone to the great paddle in the sky. His son? I email/messaged their site. Who knows?
Thanks,
Tim

Back