A canoe from the Indian Old Town Canoe Company

I agree. Dave DeVivo had a Rushton at the Assembly with a similar nickel plated name plate for comparison and we felt that this one looked the same.

Benson

The restoration has begun. It has more broken ribs to be replaced than originally estimated but this is not unusual.

Benson

Attachments

• P9290037.JPG
    P9290037.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 769
  • P9290046.JPG
    P9290046.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 749
  • P9290045.JPG
    P9290045.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 730
  • P9290044.JPG
    P9290044.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 793
  • P9290043.JPG
    P9290043.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 731
  • P9290038.JPG
    P9290038.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 832
Canoecam

The restoration has begun. It has more broken ribs to be replaced than originally estimated but this is not unusual.

Benson

If that is where I think it is I was hoping to get a look at it on the canoecam but for some it's pointed at the finishing room door....I suppose we are supposed to be watching rib production..
Should become a very nice boat when it's done..

Initial successes in the plating of chromium occurred in the mid-1800s, but may have been either lost or ignored given that some important plating literature from the late-1800s makes no mention of it. Nickel plating was widely used at the time this canoe was made (circa 1901). Commercially viable chrome plating wasn't developed until the mid-1920s.

Sweet!!!!!

Yes... historic, and it's going to be a beauty!

Benson, on rereading this thread, I wondered if this canoe would be attributable to Old Town Canoe Co if it had no tag? Lots of features are of course common to the period, but are there any that stand out as OT?

I also echo Andre's query about defining features of this OT. I also took particular notice of the stem relief immediately under the inwales that the planking lies flush under...I have only ever seen this on a few older Chestnuts and assumed it was just a particular builder's very cool bit of whimsy, but now wonder if it was not a more common feature on earlier boats that I was not aware of.

I wondered if this canoe would be attributable to Old Town Canoe Co if it had no tag? Lots of features are of course common to the period, but are there any that stand out as OT?

I don't know of any definitive collection of features that would identify this as an Indian Old Town without a tag. It is not reasonable to make broad generalizations based on a sample size of one. The stem cut that Walt mentioned, heart shaped decks, wide planking, rails that run past the stem, limited number of cant ribs, and other features may be unusual but are certainly not unique. This is one reason why it is good to have it taken all apart and documented. Hopefully the webcam at http://www.wooden-canoes.com/nw68go/web/ will be moved next week so we can all learn more as the restoration progresses.

Benson

Those close up pictures are very interesting, thank you for sharing.
This canoe does look very sweet.
Etienne-Henri

This canoe is now able to be used again as shown below, 117 years after it left the factory. Many thanks to Rollin, Elisa, and everyone at the Northwoods Canoe Company for making this possible.

Benson

IMG_3288.JPG IMG_3291.JPG

Last edited:
Fantastic ... Very very nice.
From your (beautiful) pictures, the satin finish of the hull looks very convincing.

Benson...this is a great canoe for you to own.
It is nicely restored.
I hope that it will stay in your family for as long as there is someone with an interest in old canoes and especially, old Old Town canoes.

I wondered if this canoe would be attributable to Old Town Canoe Co if it had no tag?

I need to ammend my earlier response. This canoe has a slight pounded flare at the bottom end of the stem bands. I recently noticed that the 1906 Old Town shown at http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/12416/ has a similar characteristic. Both of these are shown below with the arrow on the Indian Old Town canoe's image. Please let me know if anyone finds this on any other canoes. Thanks,

Benson

Flare-2.jpg Flare-1.jpg

Back