Sassafras paddle

pklonowski

Unrepentant Canoeist
Ed Moses sent the blank for this paddle via the WCHA Pony Express a few years ago, and... finally... The first coat of finish is on... Shouldn't be long now, before it hits the water.

Attachments

• IMG_20150405_171323_401.jpg
    IMG_20150405_171323_401.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 929
First coat's oil... Final coats will be varnish. It gets a little more color that way. Not that it needs any more color...

I love carving sassafras, and it makes a nice lightweight paddle. Can't wait to carve one from American chestnut. Should be even lighter (colour and weight).

Oplar is great for a box and I personally like a walnut paddle on it. I also like a walnut paddle on butternut, purple heart on on sassafras, cedar, cherry, mahogany. I like walnut with a walnut paddle. Also I am fond of Osage Orange and catalpa, juniper for boxes. I stick to the rule that whatever paddle you use it should be at least as dense as the box it sets upon, and most generally a little denser

Paul,

AHHHHH! A thing of beauty is a joy forever!! Nice job on your blank.

You ought to see my TO DO list of projects, canoe & paddle making related that I made years ago!! Seems like I get to cross of fewer and fewer of them as the years pass!! But I'm getting a lot of bird huntin' over the French Brittanies in for 2 months every year - just LUV it.

Ed

That paddle was pushing water around yesterday, and may be doing more of the same tomorrow... Not a bad stick, if I do say so myself... I do want to do a slight modification near the throat, but that's normal for my paddle-making. That's what winter is for: Final adjustments!

And THANK YOU for the paddle blank!

Don't know how I missed this thread on Sassafras paddles. I have 2 myself. Blade shape not like this but more of a slight tear-drop. Nice to use. Oxidized into a soft gold and then a pleasing carmel color over the years. I think I've had these for at least 20 or more years, maybe 30.

This one is pretty nice! I need to shave it down in a coupe of places, to lighten it a bit, but it's plenty fine as is!

Oplar is great for a box and I personally like a walnut paddle on it. I also like a walnut paddle on butternut, purple heart on on sassafras, cedar, cherry, mahogany. I like walnut with a walnut paddle. Also I am fond of Osage Orange and catalpa, juniper for boxes. I stick to the rule that whatever paddle you use it should be at least as dense as the box it sets upon, and most generally a little denser

I'm new here. I've made some paddles for myself but I do not know the term "box" and how it applies in this subject. Please enlighten me as to the meaning of "box". Thank you.

Chuey

Back