trying to find plans

Kind of hard to assess the canoe's design from the images, though some may recognize it offhand, you never know.

I'd have to ask if it's worth committing the remaining strips to the hull, not knowing much about the design, or what your intended use of the completed canoe will be? Might be less work overall to find a design you like, and build from scratch.

Disclaimer -- I don’t know anything about building strippers, except what I have read, or heard from others.

And I like building things, even when I don’t know much about what I am building or repairing when I start out (Chevrolet v-8 engines, motorcycle transmissions, kitchens, bathrooms, plumbing, electrical systems, etc. – but by the time I’m finished, I’ve learned a lot, sometimes the hard way).

And I believe that you cannot be too rich, too thin, or have too many canoes . . . .

So, as to Paul’s comment –

It looks like whoever started this canoe knew what he (she) was doing – good looking strong back, nice looking wood, appears to be put together well so far . . .

Were it me, I’d finish it, if I had the time over the fall/winter – it’s September now, you seem to have the strips you need, and if you can finish it by Spring, you can try it out and see if you like it and if suits your needs – if not, sell it. It doesn’t really matter who designed it or what it is called – it will work for you or it won’t. And you will have learned something about building strippers and canoe design, and you can move on to building or getting a canoe that does suit you, if this one doesn’t.

Well I was hoping to find the plans so that I can build another one when I finish this one. I will need the plans for the outer stems. and possibly for the trim work on finishing this one.

this is a extra one that came when I bought this at the auction.
http://s306.photobucket.com/user/brandonf_mine/slideshow/wood piece

if I could find plans that match this stem, with the distances between framing, that would be just great.

I figured it would be a good idea to have the correct plans and the model type it is.

I cant wait to finish it. I dont think it would take me all that long.

thanks for the help so far.

Once you've got a form (which you do), you're pretty much good to go. Future sets of outside stems you can steam bend onto the form, or build a separate plywood form in the shape of your stem, and bend them on that. Once bent, simply shape the stems to match the hull shape. Trim can be whatever you want it to be - choice of wood, placement of seats and/or thwarts, shapes of decks/thwarts/seat frames, etc. If you need some inspiration or some guidance to make you feel better about the trimming-out process, get a copy of Ted Moores' book "Canoecraft". You'll see there that there's no "right" way to do the trim. This is a great place to express your own creativity.

I don't recognize the canoe, but you should study techniques and tools as much as possible before continuing. As for the plans, if you have a strongback with the forms set up, basically you've got the plans. It's similar to having a house as compared to the blueprints. I don't understand why nails were used to fasten the strips. The pressure seems to have pulled the strips away from the forms. I always used staples. Also, the original builder started on the sides, leaving you to do the "football" on the bottom. That requires a lot of custom shaping of the strips and is quite a bit of work. Overall, the boat is less than one-quarter finished. The football needs to be stripped, the nails (or staples) removed, the entire outer hull sanded and fiberglassed, then you need to do almost the same on the interior, then do the gunwales, seats, and so forth. At least you've got a nice pile of strips to work with. Good luck!

I don't recognize the canoe, but you should study techniques and tools as much as possible before continuing. As for the plans, if you have a strongback with the forms set up, basically you've got the plans. It's similar to having a house as compared to the blueprints. I don't understand why nails were used to fasten the strips. The pressure seems to have pulled the strips away from the forms. I always used staples. Also, the original builder started on the sides, leaving you to do the "football" on the bottom. That requires a lot of custom shaping of the strips and is quite a bit of work. Overall, the boat is less than one-quarter finished. The football needs to be stripped, the nails (or staples) removed, the entire outer hull sanded and fiberglassed, then you need to do almost the same on the interior, then do the gunwales, seats, and so forth. At least you've got a nice pile of strips to work with. Good luck!

thanks for all the help. I do hope to get this striped by winter. I would really like to be able to actually fish in it next spring. cant wait to build it. see what it looks like finished. and then build another one to match.

by the way, how many stripes does it take to form the canoe? I have about 75 pieces left. and since this wood has been sitting for a really long time, I dont think I would be able to match the color that easily. it is also Red Cedar for those who wondered.

If you don't ruin a lot of strips doing the football, you should have more than enough to finish this boat. But not enough to do a second boat, I think. Strips are pretty easy to make, but, as you say, the colors can be hard to match.

Back