1932 Old Town Guide canoe

Jere Thompson

Curious about Wooden Canoes
My mom died last fall and I inherited her 1932 Old Town Guide Canoe. At least I think it is from 1932 but it may be from 1928 too. It was originally purchased by her father, Chester G. Abbott who lived in Falmouth, Maine.

This canoe is in excellent condition and has always been used on the same lake. Unfortunately, I won't be able to keep it as I would not be able to use it the way it should be used.

I can't find any serial number on it but the original Old Town plackard is still on the bow deck.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the best method of selling this work of art would be?

Jere Thompson
Falmouth, Maine

I say don't sell it. You may never see another like it, and even if you do, and decide you want it, you may not be able to afford it.

Don't you like canoeing?
Why not do it in one of the best designs ever, with a canoe your mom had for ages?

Just my $.02

I say don't sell it. You may never see another like it, and even if you do, and decide you want it, you may not be able to afford it.

Don't you like canoeing?
Why not do it in one of the best designs ever, with a canoe your mom had for ages?

Just my $.02

I agree with you completely! We love canoeing but... We live on the ocean and spend much of the year living our our boat. It is not a good idea to use this beautiful canoe on salt water. We don't have any place to store the canoe in the off season here in Maine. The 20 foot shed we built to store the canoe is being sold with the house on the lake.

I will when I get it out of the shed. The ice has only been out for a few weeks so the water is still too cold for much recreation.

Pictures

OK -

The canoe is cleaned up and ready to show. Here are some pictures.

This canoe was purchased in 1932 by Chester Abbott according to my brother. I thought that it was purchased in 1928 but he is older and wiser. It has always been used on a lake without too much care. It was, however, rebuilt in the early '90's by Portland Yacht Services in Portland, Maine. It is in very good condition.

She is a 38 foot Guide Canoe with 2 seatbacks and 2 paddles. These are original paddles I believe as we each had our own paddles growing up and never used the Old Town paddles. The does not seem to be a serial number. It is possible that the inside keel was replaced in the rebuild and the serial number was not restored. THe seats have not been replaced with original quality but I notice that LL Bean sells replacement seats of original quality.

The canoe has been in regular use throughout it's life but always on a lake.

I am considering listing it for $2,500 but I don't know too much about the pricing except what I have read on this forum. I am in no rush to sell it so I wait to see what happens.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1313[1].jpg
    IMG_1313[1].jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_1305[1].jpg
    IMG_1305[1].jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_1310[1].jpg
    IMG_1310[1].jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_1306[1].jpg
    IMG_1306[1].jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_1304[1].jpg
    IMG_1304[1].jpg
    115 KB · Views: 624
Last edited:
I am please to tell everyone that I won't need to sell this canoe after all. My daughter found a place on a lake where she can keep the canoe and continue to enjoy it. We are all pleased that the canoe that we have all used since birth will stay in the family.

Back