Where can I get build information for 103590 17?

Clogan

I posted another request for information but to no avail... Does anyone know where I can locate information for a wood canoe I just purchased? It looks like an Old Town to me but there are some things that I don't recognize from others that I have seen, the seats are solid wood and there are some gold painted "diamond" shapes on the front/back and paint on the seats... The serial number is 103590 17.

103590 17

Hi,

The regular answer guys must be out canoeing. 103590 is a 17' CS grade (middle grade) OTCA with Western Cedar Planking and open spruce gunwales. It was originally painted Bright Red. It was begun in 1929 and sold in 1930 to a company in Detroit, MI.

Don't know about the plank seats or drawings of diamonds - please send photos.

Dan

Attachments

• 103590 17.jpg
    103590 17.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 338
RE: Pics of wood seats and paint

Hi,

The regular answer guys must be out canoeing. 103590 is a 17' CS grade (middle grade) OTCA with Western Cedar Planking and open spruce gunwales. It was originally painted Bright Red. It was begun in 1929 and sold in 1930 to a company in Detroit, MI.

Don't know about the plank seats or drawings of diamonds - please send photos.

Dan

Dan~ Thank you so much for the information, your services are much more than appreciated! I've attached two photos, both show the wood seats/gold paint marks that I mentioned and one in particular is a close up of the seats and how they are attached (diamond head bolts). The gold paint looks a little crude, perhaps post production but the wood seats have to be either factory or were done by someone that knew what they were doing. Your thoughts? Thanks!

Chad

Attachments

• 103596(1).jpg
    103596(1).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 338
  • 103596(2).jpg
    103596(2).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 336
The gold paint looks a little crude, perhaps post production but the wood seats have to be either factory or were done by someone that knew what they were doing.

I suspect that under that wood with the gold paint you will find a frame with holes for a more typical cane seat. That does not look like a typical factory seat. Good luck with the restoration,

Benson

Hi Chad,
It looks like a previous owner covered the original seats with the wood. The original seats would have been hand caned so you should be able to feel the holes in the frame through which the cane would have been woven. It's always good when you find that an owner covered the old seats rather that replaced them so you can rehab them and have original parts. The decorative painting is also a product of a previous owner. The diamond head bolts have been used on Old Town canoes since about 1920.
It looks like you have a good project ahead. This forum is loaded with helpful members who'll answer your question and give you advice. We all started with our first canoe so most questions have been asked before.

Dan

Back