Frank south of Albany NY

frank_a

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi folks. My name is Frank, and I live out in the boondocks south of Albany NY. A power boater most of my life, my current ride is a 50 year old classic fiberglass tunnel hull racer. Many years ago I acquired a 1947 C&S H&W model Old Town canoe that had been fiberglassed in the early 70's. Over the years I've pecked at the fiberglass, which did not adhere very well, and got most of it off, so I think the planking is fine (not resin-saturated). The canoe, a saltwater/big water model, is very light as it is now, and needs some major work, at least from my perspective. I do have the history of it, build sheet and brochure from Old Town. I have set it up on blocks temporarily in my small pole barn and hope to start cleaning it up this week and figuring out what needs to be done. Then I'll be back with questions!

Kids are all grown and gone, so it's just me and the little woman and our shnoodle, Buckley. I'd like to get the canoe done within the next year, but with my hands full of other projects and a full-time job, that may be just a dream. We'll see.

Frank

Attachments

• ot1.JPG
    ot1.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 477
  • ot2.JPG
    ot2.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 462
It looks in pretty good shape from what we can see of the bottom views.
More pics will get more opinions about condition and rehab.

Only one rib broken inside, but no pics here at work. Want to start cleaning this baby up this week/weekend and get into it. Thanks!

Frank

Here's some more pics. Bow is worse than stern (I think I know one from the other - hull number is in bow right?), but I need to learn how to best go about repairing this damage and then strip the interior right? Thanks for any suggestions!

Frank

Attachments

• bow.JPG
    bow.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 467
  • stern.JPG
    stern.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 462
  • brokenrib.JPG
    brokenrib.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 452
  • washedout.JPG
    washedout.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 451
Here's a pic of the planking where the tree hit the canoe and busted that rib shown in the pic above. One plank is cracked badly in two places about 6" apart, and another plank just above it is cracked slightly. Also attached here is a scan of the build sheet. It says the planking is spruce and the gunwale is open spruce. I always thought these canoes had cedar planking. Is there any way to tell?

Thanks!

Frank

Attachments

• ot4.jpg
    ot4.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 446
  • crackedplanks.JPG
    crackedplanks.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 430
How far south of Albany Frank? Which side of the river? I'm in Columbia County and have now restored 2 boats. Be glad to assist if you need an extra set of hands on occasion.

Well, the one thing you have going for you is it appears to have a solid hull. The rib, depending on the severity of the break can be repaired or replaced.The rot on the ends is typical. It will require you to install new decks, new inwales, or atleast scarf in good wood on the tips. Same with the stems....a scarfed in piece of wood will suffice and never be seen. When scarfing try to make the angle of the cut as long as possible.
You may need to repair rib tips as well or cant ribs. I usually opt for scarfing in new rib tips. The joint is easily hidden behind the inwale.

I too have a 1947 Old Town with spruce planking on the build record. I think it was a mistake. The planks look like red cedar to me.

How far south of Albany Frank? Which side of the river? I'm in Columbia County and have now restored 2 boats. Be glad to assist if you need an extra set of hands on occasion.

While our mailing address is Ravena, we're actually in Coeymans Hollow, directly west of the Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk High School. I sure do appreciate the offer. This project will take me some time, so I don't know what I'll need help with. The only thing that looks mysterious at this point is getting the canvas on! My initial goal is to get enough of the woodwork done to strip and varnish the interior. I'd like to think I could get that done this year.

Frank

Well, the one thing you have going for you is it appears to have a solid hull. The rib, depending on the severity of the break can be repaired or replaced.The rot on the ends is typical. It will require you to install new decks, new inwales, or atleast scarf in good wood on the tips. Same with the stems....a scarfed in piece of wood will suffice and never be seen. When scarfing try to make the angle of the cut as long as possible.
You may need to repair rib tips as well or cant ribs. I usually opt for scarfing in new rib tips. The joint is easily hidden behind the inwale.

I too have a 1947 Old Town with spruce planking on the build record. I think it was a mistake. The planks look like red cedar to me.

I tore the stern apart the night before last to get a piece of planking off Dave, sanded it and applied some cleaner to bring out the grain, and I have to agree with you, it sure looks like cedar to me. Apparently Old Town made great canoes, but couldn't get their paperwork act together!

All the things you mention I am prepared to do. I removed the stern deck and believe it is oak. Also, there is a chance I may have access to spruce in lengths necessary to re-construct the in and outwales. The starboard outwale is cracked in a number of places, and it just doesn't make sense to me to try and scarf in everything, at least on that outwale. I have not yet inspected the port side.

Here are some pics from my work the night before last. I hope to get at it again maybe tomorrow afternoon. Thank you for the help and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated.

Frank

Attachments

• sternplankfront.JPG
    sternplankfront.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 418
  • sterndeck.JPG
    sterndeck.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 415
  • stern1.JPG
    stern1.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 432
  • starboardbow.JPG