Largest Gathering of Adirondack Guideboats Ever

John Michne

Recovering stripper
Organizers Planning for Largest Gathering of Adirondack Guideboats Ever

(Saranac Lake, NY) Sunday July 1, 2012 will mark the 50th annual Willard Hanmer Guideboat Race commemorating Willard Hanmer the preeminent Guide Boat builder of his era. The race has been celebrated every year since 1962 on the Sunday closest to the 4th of July. This year, to celebrate the craftsmanship of this uniquely Adirondack craft, the organizers are planning a display of over 50 guideboats in a guideboat parade on Lake Flower prior to the race. The guideboat parade will be open to anyone wishing to display their guideboat. Natalie Bombard Corl Leduc, a participant in the inaugural race invites all past participants of the race to row in the parade. For those wishing to display their guideboats or participate in the guideboat parade contact: 50thhanmer@gmail.com

Following the parade will be guideboat, canoe and kayak races. This year the one-person guideboat race will follow the traditional route on Lake Flower, carry around the dam and down the Saranac River to the Fish and Game Club where there will be food, refreshments ands festivities for the whole family. Canoes and kayaks will be following the one person guideboat course, also going down the river. For those wishing to race in either the guideboat, recreational canoe or kayak classes contact: 50thhanmer@gmail.com.

For Immediate Release
Contact: Chris Covert, 518-891-1144 or chris@guideboatrealty.com

This is great timing, as the guideboat gathering will take place on the Sunday that all the WCHA folks are driving home from Assembly. I usually bring my guideboat to the Assemblies at Paul Smiths, so I am planning to attend the Saranac Lake event on the way home....

Dan

From what little I was able to glean on the Hanmer races from the Internet, they apparently (used to?) have a war canoe class race.

This sounds like a fun day. I would really like to see 50 guideboats in one place in surroundings other then a museum. I am going to plan on being there with my guideboat but will only do the parade as racing it is out of the question as my arms won't let me. LOL Thanks for the heads up on this event John.

Going?

OK So who is planning on going to Saranac Lake, NY on July 1st for this gathering? I already have my room reserved right across the lake from the park. Come on let's hear from you.

Deborah and I hope to stop by for at least a short time on our way home from the WCHA Assembly -- it's only a very few miles away.
Greg

Two Weeks and counting to this gathering at Saranac Lake. I don't know about all of you but I am looking forward to being there and seeing all the guideboats on display and parading with them on Lake Flower.

Two Weeks and counting to this gathering at Saranac Lake. I don't know about all of you but I am looking forward to being there and seeing all the guideboats on display and parading with them on Lake Flower.

We are shaking all the trees around here trying to chase all the old boats out of hiding. It is proving harder then we had hoped. Everybody that has a guideboat is welcome to bring it and display it, especially in the parade of boats on the lake.

Hello Everyone, Well I am about to load up my Guide Boat and head out to Saranac Lake,New York. If we encounter no problems we should be there by 12:30 or so. I would like to get in some rowing today on Lake Flower. Hope to see you all there.

Hey Guys, Just back from Saranac Lake, New York and the Gathering of Guide Boats. Total of boats that showed up was 58. Great showing for the parade and races. Here are a few pics from today. I'll get to uploading the rest that I have during the week. I want to thank Chris for the very nice personal thank you that he gave me and to the whole group of volunteers that made this event the great show that it was. Rowing in the parade was a event that will be with me the rest of my life. Thank you everyone one. Special thanks to Bill for guiding me through the route of the parade.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg98/scaled.php?server=98&filename=resizedlisa.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg201/scaled.php?server=201&filename=resized247.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg821/scaled.php?server=821&filename=imag0248kx.jpg&res=landing

Last edited:
Well the Worlds Greatest Gathering of Guideboats and the 50th Annual Hanmer Memorial Guideboats Races was a resounding success by all accounts.
Everyone here turned out with their boats and made quite a showing in the Grand Parade. I would like to thank everyone who participated and spectated, especially those whom drove several hours to get here. Official count by registration was 55 boats, count on the water was 61, with several more boats on the shore. I will post pictures over the next few days.

It was a lot of fun, and I'm glad Caleb and I were able to participate. Thanks to you and everyone else who helped out with the event.

Dan

7483865786_394c69ed89_c.jpg

Congratulations and many, many thanks to Chris Woodward, Joe and Sally Spedaro and all the other volunteers who made this a truly memorable event.

Bill Michelfelder

Back