# 1044 16 ?

ssfletch

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Folks,

A fellow enthusiast has this early canoe in his backyard in Louisiana and asked if I could post some pictures along with the serial number for a positive ID. Any info appreciated.

ID on stem is 1044 16.

Here are some pictures to help.

100_0897.jpg
100_0899.jpg
100_0902.jpg
img_2856.jpg

Thanks for all you do!

Go to the following website and scroll on the left to St. Louis. Wally may eventually check in and give you more information too. You can also use the "search" function above to find previous posts... the company has an interesting history.

http://dragonflycanoe.com/id/ (scroll to St. Louis Meramec)

Kathy

Hmm, I'll ask the owner to take a few pics of the deck to confirm the trapped inwale detail. Are there any build records for this firm by chance?
Thanks,
Steve Fletcher

The Valley of the Maramec Chapter rescued some of the records for St. Louis Boat... someone from that group will eventually jump in and wave you over!

While serial numbers on canoes may provide a clue as to who built the boat, records exist only for Old Town, Carleton, and Kennebec canoes and a smattering of others. Your canoe might come under that smattering...

I looked at the photos of the canoe but could not get a good look at the decks. But the splice in the outwale is correct for a St. Louis Boat & Canoe. I'd love to see ore pictures of the deck. Look for holes in the inwales close to the decks---almost all had carrying handles. If it is a St. Louis, it was built in 1938 in the late spring, according to our database and records. Where is it located in Louisiana? My son is in Baton Rouge and we may be going down for Thanksgiving. It it's close we could take a look.
Wally Hauck
314-421-9966

Well, this seems to settle the matter. Clear as mud. The owner just sent me this image. He is in the process of signing up for the forum so I'll let him
chime in after that.
Thanks for the help!
Cheers,
Steve
img_2864.jpg

Hello Folks,
This is Ken Abrahams in Lake Charles, La. I have finally gained access to this forum. I have not had time to digest it all yet, but I will soon. I have the canoe 1044 16.
Thanks, and I'll be in touch.
Ken Abrahams

Ok, it seems that 1044 - 16 was built by St. Louis Boat and Canoe Co. in the spring of 1938. Interesting information. Any idea how big a company SLB&C was? I assume it was much smaller than Old Town.

Knowing what it is, then, I guess I should remove the decks I installed that were left over from my Old Town project. Apparently the arrowhead decks are important to do a good job. The arrowhead decks are pretty rotten and will take some rebuilding with epoxy. Also, the wales are in pretty bad shape.

I have a set of sailing spars and lee boards from the Old Town project. Any ideas on how th install a rudder?

Thanks,
Ken Abrahams

Hi Ken,

Here is a picture of my early St. Louis and the decks, Ser#: 38-17

Good luck on the restoration,

Paul

Attachments

• IM002022.jpg
    IM002022.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 298
There is a wonderful article on SLB&C in issue 146 of Wooden Canoe, which is available on this website in the WCHA Store.

Back