Blade tip protectors

Ken

Can anyone point me to (or e-mail to me) pictures of metal (usually copper, I think) paddle blade protectors? Thanks in advance.

Ken

Each paddle manufacturer tended to use a unique style and these styles changed over time. The Morris style was quite plain and straight as shown in their 1919 catalog. The style used by the Old Town Canoe Company in their 1930 catalog is shown below from the Complete Old Town Canoe Company Catalog Collection CD-ROM. Old canoe company catalog reproductions are available from http://merchandise.wcha.org/ and http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/cdrom.htm if you want to research this topic further.

Benson

Attachments

• PAGE-37.GIF
    PAGE-37.GIF
    171.7 KB · Views: 1,380
Last edited:
Benson,

Thanks much. That catalog page gives me a pretty good idea of what they looked like.

Ken

Posted this question elsewhere before I found this thread. So how would one go about making such a thing... or is there someone around who makes them?

I have an original and somewhat used one that could be a pattern if anyone wants to arrange to have reproductions created.

Benson

Looking forward to any suggestions, I've got lots of sheet copper from my roofer friend but not template and no idea of how to bend them, although I assume the nice decorative paddle style would have been formed with a die or press....

Not sure if this helps but there's a brief write up including a tip pattern with dimensions and diagram of a form (fig.57) in Graham Warren's original paddlemaking book, Making Canoe Paddles in Wood. He mentions making a tip by recycling a piece of "central heating pipe".

Read_Makingcanoepaddlesinwood_LRG.jpg

Pictures

As requested. Here are a few pictures. They are not free as I am including my opinion about installing these as a fee;)

Aside from trying to add a decorative embellishment to a paddle, there is no way that I would ever consider using these. Well actually, not even then. It would be a crime to put holes through a nice spruce paddle simply to mount these things. There would be more damage done to the paddle with the nail holes than protection provided by these tips. Again, in my opinion.

Anyway, here is a picture of an old oar I had in the garage. This is very thin copper. I can probably mic. it if you need to know the gauge.

Attachments

• IMG_4043.JPG
    IMG_4043.JPG
    367.1 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_4044.JPG
    IMG_4044.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 1,001
Hey Benson, Thanks for the feedback. Are your tip protectors the same as MCG's? Are they OLD Town tips? If so would you post a pic beside a ruler for scale? I'll ask around to see if anyone might be able to fabricate these.

MCG, as a rule I'd agree with you. Two thoughts! My paddle already has the holes do the damage is already done, and ideally I'd like to restore pieces back to the original if possible. Really appreciate the pics! Gives me a starting place! Might I impose on youn to take another pic with a ruler in the shot... and if you could mic the guage that would be great!

Thanks Des

Benson, all of the tip protectors are long gone from my ancient Old Town paddles. I'd like to replace a few of them. Could you post a picture of the one you have, and perhaps the dimensions. Thanks.

MCG, as a rule I'd agree with you. Two thoughts! My paddle already has the holes do the damage is already done, and ideally I'd like to restore pieces back to the original if possible. Really appreciate the pics! Gives me a starting place! Might I impose on youn to take another pic with a ruler in the shot... and if you could mic the guage that would be great!

Thanks Des

Des,

Replacing them on a paddle that previously had the tips installed makes sense. I had not considered that.
I'll take additional photo's with a scale and measure the thickness of the copper for you. The material is very thin. It would be quite easy to cut these shapes with heavy duty scissors.

Pictures of a home crafted (?) blade tip from a paddle. It was found in a shallow backwater near the Bay of Quinte in Ontario years ago.

Bob

Attachments

• DSCF1323.JPG
    DSCF1323.JPG
    459.7 KB · Views: 749
  • DSCF1324.JPG
    DSCF1324.JPG
    452.6 KB · Views: 800
  • DSCF1325.JPG
    DSCF1325.JPG
    455.4 KB · Views: 751
Here are the pictures that you requested. I was not able to get a very good shots with the flash. Sorry.
The copper is .014 in. thick.

Attachments

• IMG_4054.JPG
    IMG_4054.JPG
    434.2 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_4058.JPG
    IMG_4058.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 752
Two holes too many!

MGC: Thanks for the updated pictures. Perfect!

All: The pic that MGC provided shows 4 nail holes. The paddle I have has six! In the spirit of authenticity has anyone seen a tip protector with six nail holes? Benson are your's the same as MGC's? Just wondering! Thanks!

The paddle I have has six! In the spirit of authenticity has anyone seen a tip protector with six nail holes?

The attached image shows one with four holes per side and another with eight since the older one had tacks and the newer one has staples. You might have had a mixture of both. Can you attach a picture?

Benson

Attachments

• 0002.JPG
    0002.JPG
    588.3 KB · Views: 896
Hey Benson, so there must have been a non-OT tip on this. The holes just don't match the originals that have been posted by everyone. Have posted a pic of the end and one of the label. Not sure you can see the holes!

Attachments

• DSC_3097.JPG
    DSC_3097.JPG
    731.1 KB · Views: 714
  • DSC_3096.JPG
    DSC_3096.JPG
    724.8 KB · Views: 727
  • DSC_3095.JPG
    DSC_3095.JPG
    637.9 KB · Views: 720
Robert! Excellent! Knew someone out there would have an answer! thankfully simpler than their usual paddle tips. Any thoughts as to what vintage your paddle might be?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Now to go and figure out how to make them!

Back