Penobscot Canoe Company

Years in Business: 
1915 - 1923
Company History: 

The Penobscot Canoe Company (also known as Pecaco) was founded in 1915 by Alfred Wickett, who was formerly employed by the Old Town Canoe Company. Alfred left the Penobscot Canoe Co. in 1920, moved to Missouri, and started the St. Louis Meramec Canoe Company. The Pecaco factory burned down in 1923.

Identifying Features: 

The main feature by which a Pecaco canoe is identified is the “spearhead” deck.

Feature Photos: 
Pecaco spearhead deck
Models Offered: 
  • Regular Type - standard wood canvas construction offered in 16’, 17’ and 18’ lengths
  • Notacrack - Special construction with second layer of thin ribs overlapping main ribs.
  • Guide - available in 18’ and 20’ lengths, in regular and Notacrack construction.
  • Audette: Susan T. 1998. The Old Town Canoe Company: Our First Hundred Years. Tilbury House, Gardiner, Maine. Includes information regarding Alfred Wickett’s relationship with Old Town Canoe Company, and his subsequent activities with Penobscot Canoe Company and St. Louis Meramec Canoe Company.
  • Miller, Daniel J. and Benson Gray. The Historic Wood Canoe and Boat Manufacturer Catalog Collection. Contains the two known Penobscot Canoe Company trade catalogs. Available from the WCHA Online Store.